New to SCH and fairly new to hunting

Patrick Swayze

Feb 9, 2015
Oceanside
Hello all, Born and raised here in so cal. I spend most my free time in outdoors, hunting is
Really becoming a passion for me. Going on my third season now, and I'm hooked. I'm interested
In all types of hunting, I'm focusing all my efforts in my local areas . Upland game, waterfowl, and whatever other game might be in my area. I'm really looking forward to this next season and
To talk story with everybody.

Welcome to the site. Looks like you are finding out that spending time in the outdoors is even better with a gun on your shoulder. :)

This pic was taken during the end of the season 2014 out in imperial county. Hunting a private blind with a friend near lake Finney. Had about a dozen decoys set in a hose shoe shape about 10 yards in front of the blind. Right at shooting time we had 2 blue wing teal land right in the decoys. What a set up! Shortly after they were retrieved, we heard wings right over our heads. Didn't even need to call, they decoyed so hard. It was a great hunt and all I can think about is next season.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Mixed bag for sure......It appears you have cinnamon teal (they have bluewings too), greenwing teal, a spoonie, mallard, gadwall, and a couple of hooded merganser hens.....Looks like a couple of ruddys in there as well.

How'd those hoodies taste?............ ;D

ilovesprig said:
Mixed bag for sure......It appears you have cinnamon teal (they have bluewings too), greenwing teal, a spoonie, mallard, and a couple of hooded merganser hens.....Looks like a couple of ruddys in there as well.

How'd those hoodies taste?............ ;D

Lol... "I know a guy who ate one of those" :D

In all seriousness, there's been a couple of the newer guys get citations for basically honest mistakes......If your going to hunt waterfowl, learn your species......It can be confusing and many of the hens are very similar.

Here's a good place to start to learn your birds. Oh, and don't be embarrassed about it. None of us knew them very well when we started......Just wasn't as costly 50 years ago....... ;)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQjBAwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ducks.org%2Fhunting%2Fwaterfowl-id%2F%3Fpoe%3DhuntingHomeIcon&ei=6yDaVOeyJoK4ggShjgM&usg=AFQjCNFCrpftFcsbP_MovJNesvfzgjS6QA&sig2=HmZ01TAVBSe6oQPfdVf4QA&bvm=bv.85464276,d.eXY

Re: New to SCH and fairly new to hunting

ilovesprig said:
In all seriousness, there's been a couple of the newer guys get citations for basically honest mistakes......If your going to hunt waterfowl, learn your species......It can be confusing and many of the hens are very similar.

Here's a good place to start to learn your birds. Oh, and don't be embarrassed about it. None of us knew them very well when we started......Just wasn't as costly 50 years ago....... ;)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQjBAwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ducks.org%2Fhunting%2Fwaterfowl-id%2F%3Fpoe%3DhuntingHomeIcon&ei=6yDaVOeyJoK4ggShjgM&usg=AFQjCNFCrpftFcsbP_MovJNesvfzgjS6QA&sig2=HmZ01TAVBSe6oQPfdVf4QA&bvm=bv.85464276,d.eXY

My buddy shot the hoodies, not sure how they turned out for him. I just shot 2 of the blue wings, a green wing, the cinnamon, and the mallard. My GF cooked them all up, the teal tasted the best.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu