New to SoCal Hunting

TerminalTodd09808

Aug 13, 2015
I've done plenty of hunting in Florida, mostly for hog, but I'm honestly at a loss when it comes to hunting in this environment. I've been trying to do some research for myself but that's only getting me so far. I live in the Camp Pendleton area and I'm looking for land that i can hunt on and hopefully someone who can show me the ropes of hunting in this type of area. im only used to swamps and flat open areas filled with palmetto plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Todd,

Welcome to SCH.........If you're military they have a whole hunting program on base......Talk to the wardens out there. They would be your best resource by far.....We also have a lot of threads about our local areas in SD Co.....Cleveland NF, wildlife areas, and BLM will be your best bets on the public stuff.

Thank you very much. I am military. I've done some hunting on base but during small game season we can't check out to hunt until 9 in the morning. That's why I've been looking to hunt off base. I like to get out early in the morning and spend a full day hunting and i cant do that on base. I've been looking into BLM land and there's two big chunks of it out by where i love to hunt. And i will definitely look into Cleveland NF.

Curious about your handle... Do you work at an airport terminal or... Hoping it's not the "other" terminal.

Firstly, thank you for helping my family and I sleep tight each night. Your service means something.

What do you want to hunt? Are looking for pigs? deer? something else?

Western hunting is very diverse and you can find animals in every type of environment, perhaps with exception of the one you have the most experience in (unless you want to compare our wetlands waterfowl areas).

If you are in shape go high for deer in the early season and you will experience something that you will love :)

SteelTown its neither, its kinda a branch off of a Marine Corps thing about our crappy promotion system. Haha. Lately I've been trying to get into predator hunting. I've heard its a really rewarding hunt that poses more of a challenge than most other hunts. So like Bobcat and Coyote for the most part there. Id also like to get into pig hunting out here. That's almost all i ever hunted in Florida and i absolutely love pig hunting. At some point before i leave the Western US id like to get in a Bear hunt or two and possibly a mountain lion but I know i cant do that in California. As well as deer of course. Cant spend a year without at least trying to get something during deer season.

I've always heard good things about turkey hunting. I've also heard that the turkey numbers are down because the Bobcat numbers are up. And there's more restrictions coming to hunting bobcat as well I've heard.

I used to work at TMO on base again talk to the GW on base there is great coyote hunting there, duck hunting also so is very good there.. Since only mil. & DOD can hunt there you have a lot less hunters then we get out here on public land. Good Luck and have fun...

sportyg said:
I used to work at TMO on base again talk to the GW on base there is great coyote hunting there, duck hunting also so is very good there.. Since only mil. & DOD can hunt there you have a lot less hunters then we get out here on public land. Good Luck and have fun...

Sportyg

I click on the link to Hunters helping Hunters. very cool organization.
gave your + on the Karma . Thanks Brother.

Respectfully
Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu