New to SoCal

pony30

Aug 8, 2015
Hey All,

Relocating to CA from NJ and wondering if I am SOL for getting into a hunt this year.. I am set to be in CA permanently by 8/27. I have an NM elk hunt the second week of September, but definitely want to take advantage of any local deer opportunity in Souther CA.

Will I have a chance at getting a license and getting some kind of over the counter tag? I am still reading through the CA game regulations.

Would be great to network with some local guys etc.. Thanks for any info/insight. Good luck out there!

Pony

Welcome pony. Go on the CA DFW site and if you have your Hunter Ed certificate from any other state, you should be able to register and get your 2015-16 hunting license. Depending on what you want to hunt, you may need tags or stamps. A lot of deer tags are sold out (met quota), but not all of them. Where will you be living in SoCal? Don't forget small game, varmints, upland and waterfowl. We're just getting warmed up for fall/winter. Lots to hunt.... Pig and bear too, that you probably haven't thought about.

I will be living in the Irvine/Orange County area. I am definitely up for anything.

NJ was actually just opening up its first bear season and I had a great spot where I ran into big boars ever time I was out for white tail, too bad...

I do have a certificate so that is good. Any recommendations for the area? How far North do I have to go to get into black bear? Thanks all.

Excited to get into Wester hunting and getting to know everyone.

Pon

To get into boar and bear, you might consider going with a guide, at least to get used to the way to hunt them out here. A couple of sponsors are guides. Check Giant Sequoia Guide Service. Neil is honest, works very hard and I go out with him a lot. Most pigs (and bears) are in private land because that's where the water and food is. So whether you go with a fully guided hunt or semi-guided, or DIY, you'll probably have to pay to find them.

Pony,

Welcome to SCH........D-15 has available deer tags and that also allows you to hunt D-13 and D-11.....Tough hunts, but can be done...... ;)

Lots of birds hunting coming up soon......... ;D

Nicholas909 said:
San Bernardino national forest has Bear. Are you going rifle or bow?

I only hunt with a bow at this point, but open to rifle depending on hunt and or opportunity. I have a 30-06 so rifle won't be a problem.

Welcome to CA Pony.

I've been on this site for a month now. So far good resources on here. I'm a new hunter myself (never been out yet) but been looking to go out for big game.

Shoot me an email if you are interested in having a tag along. I live in San Diego County.

[email protected]

Thanks and good luck!

bgnajar said:
Welcome to CA Pony.

I've been on this site for a month now. So far good resources on here. I'm a new hunter myself (never been out yet) but been looking to go out for big game.

Shoot me an email if you are interested in having a tag along. I live in San Diego County.

[email protected]

Thanks and good luck!

Will do, got the hunting bug last year and not looking back. Completely addicted, got a buck/doe last year and now am on to an elk hunt in September. I will definitely be looking to get out mid-September on. Catch up soon..

Have not hunted it for awhile but zone D8 used to be a great bear hunting zone. I'm also an NJ transplant via AZ, back in 76... Yea your looking at a D18 or D19 tag if they are not sold out as yet or even an AO if you want to hunt archery and hunt any open A,B, or D zone... Your best bet however would be to pick an area as close to home as you want and learn it like you know the back of your hand... You'll know where to find the local deer and the ones passing through both, then you will have a great hunt every year. That takes boots on the ground and lots of scouting and more scouting...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu