New user hopeful Hunter

hopeful novice

Oct 31, 2015
Hi guys just found this site and love it already. I'm pretty new to the hunting scene and just looking for some pointers for hunting in the Orange county area I know there isn't much for big game bit I'm defiantly interested in all those yotes. Much to most people's distaste I'm rolling with a crossbow so hope nobody crucifies me too much. I'm looking to upgrade to regular bows when my budget allows but I'm guessing non firearms gives me some sort of a noise advantage in this dense urban environment. Any advice would mean the world tho thank you! !!

Welcome to the site, not sure about the oc regs and bows but check the dfg website.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Do you have a hunting lic?

You can not hunt in any urban areas in oc. Don't hunt in any incorporated city. There is national forest start there and good luck.

HH,

Yep..... Be careful even if you are hunting with a crossbow.....Still considered a lethal weapon....150 from any bldg., dwelling, or barn.

You need to think longer drives......San Berdoo, SD, Riverside, and Imperial Counties.....Get yourself a shotgun too.....Opens tons of doors for hunting...... ;)

Welcome to this site. Always good to see new hunters. Like Sprig said, get a shotgun. Lots of dove, waterfowl, quail, chukar, pheasant, and even more. Also check the regs on crossbow.

Good to see another orange county resident! where in the OC are you located? I started hunting a year ago with the help of this site. Expect to drive at least 1.5 hours to huntable land, out to 2-2.5 hours. I've mostly hunted northern CNF area which is about 1.5 hours, and desert center for yotes/quail which is a little over 2 hours. I am planning to go to the IV next for some quail. If you have a hunting license, let me know, I mostly hunt solo because all of my friends a freaking lazy and wont get a hunting lisence. And as Sprig said, get a shotgun, mossberg500 or remington870, cheap and reliable.

I just got through the hunters ed course and picked up a hunting licence so all my paperwork checks out. I'm located in the Newport area so always got quite a drive to any good grounds it seems. What you guys think about picking up a shotgun at Big 5 ? It's the closest place to me but dunno if anything they sell there is any good any advice again is greatly appreciated (never really owned a gun before ya know)

There's a dicks in hunting beach too, bought my first shotgun there. Check out the new ammo bros off dyer exit on the 55, they have a great gun collection, and there's a turners in Huntington Beach. I live over in south coast metro so let me know if your interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu