Newbie @ bowhunting

bowoutdoors.jp

Nov 13, 2017
Pomona, CA
Goodmorning folks, hope y'all are well. Looking to get some recommendations/advice. I've been continuously researching and getting ready for my first hunt here in California. My biggest question is "what can realistically be hunted with a bow in California?" Looking to eat what I kill and not worried about trophy. I'm hooked on getting ready for the first hunt. Please feel free to comment with any helpful tips or necessary information needed for a new bowhunter. -JP

Thanks Bill, those are all in the horizon. Will most likely start with turkey and rabbit once season comes around. Any general areas you'd recommend?

You are gonna have to put boots to the ground and do some looking around. Look at all the National Forrest and local BLM lands. Hunting and hunters around here are very tight lipped as to everyone's spots unless you happen to get in with some of the well established people that have been hunting here a long time. I'm not gonna lie, our local area is tough..!! Requires a ton of leg work (Pun intended) to find good spots for any intended game. I would recommend the book Afoot and Afield in San Diego County. That will help you find some of the trailheads in the county that lead into the various public lands. Also, go get some maps from the Alpine Forest station or order them. Then form a plan of attack and start hitting areas. Eventually you will run into some good areas. I try and hit a new area every weekend and do some looking around. If I find a likely area with good sign, I will put out some trail cams and start seeing if it is worth further effort.

Hope some of this helps you. Always looking for new partners as well.

Bill thanks for great info. I've actually been looking for maps of our area. Any online sources that might help for that? I'm more than willing to track the miles and really get out there. The less human population the better IMO. In what general area are you located?

You are gonna have to put boots to the ground and do some looking around. Look at all the National Forrest and local BLM lands. Hunting and hunters around here are very tight lipped as to everyone's spots unless you happen to get in with some of the well established people that have been hunting here a long time. I'm not gonna lie, our local area is tough..!! Requires a ton of leg work (Pun intended) to find good spots for any intended game. I would recommend the book Afoot and Afield in San Diego County. That will help you find some of the trailheads in the county that lead into the various public lands. Also, go get some maps from the Alpine Forest station or order them. Then form a plan of attack and start hitting areas. Eventually you will run into some good areas. I try and hit a new area every weekend and do some looking around. If I find a likely area with good sign, I will put out some trail cams and start seeing if it is worth further effort.

Hope some of this helps you. Always looking for new partners as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu