No deer today but...

Ajsnack

Jun 5, 2012
San Diego
Went out to a spot where I having been seeing deer for the past week. Glassed for a couple hours and was not able to find a thing until I see what looks to be 6-7 males moving briskly through the bottom of a canyon. Figuring they were illegal immigrants I stayed put for a few minutes. As I was going to call BP i saw someone walking the same canyon but he was on the ridge, glassed him and it was a BP officer. I went and talked to him they had a dog tracking them and within minutes I had a helicopter buzzing my area for about 20 minutes. So a lot of human scent through my hunting grounds today so I cut my losses and headed home early.

Was that the deep canyon we were looking at the other day ? Off to the right of the rocky ridge top??? Lotsa of empty water bottles and backpacks there recently.

Dusty- It was the canyon below that unidentifiable animal we saw at like 700 yards the other day.

LP- I guess not. I am hopeful it will return to its normal state next weekend

Hey looked at that pic on my computer, it was a deer! Two of them, one in the back ground! Well that sucks the spot was raided by illegals. It should bounce back!

As Hemingway said-
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”

Dang, I thought all the bottles and other human trash I've been seeing were hunters' trash and I was pretty disappointed. I don't mean close to the roads; where I've been hunting, you have to work to get there and a hunter would be nuts to go out so far just to mess it up. Now I understand! Doh!

Sent via Tapatalk

Funny thing is, for years, any group I caught this time of year down there, I'd always ask if they saw any deer while they were walking..... ;D

Had some walk by in McCain last year. Right down the trail I was on. I hid waited and right when they passed I held out a bottle of water and said ...bueno. those guys turned white like Casper immediately with bug eyes and loaded britches . They ran like hell but the wrong direction. The bps were flanking us to see if we ran any jumpers out and these brainiacs ran right to them. It was classic. Kinda one of those had to been there moments.

Vermonster said:
Funny thing is, for years, any group I caught this time of year down there, I'd always ask if they saw any deer while they were walking..... ;D

That's a cool way to get some intel!!!!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu