non lead shot

Big Jim

Aug 6, 2015
Phase 2 – Effective July 1, 2016, nonlead shot will be required when taking upland game birds with a shotgun, except for dove, quail, snipe, and any game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs. In addition, nonlead shot will be required when using a shotgun to take resident small game mammals, furbearing mammals, nongame mammals, nongame birds, and any wildlife for depredation purposes.

so next season we all have to use steel for pheasant, 2019 steel for Dove and quail. this will be expensive.

I don't agree with this at all. It won't help anything. Stupid law with no marit. HOWEVER.... It's not expensive. I've been shooting steel Winchester super x for dove quail rabbits and phesants for about a year now. I use it because i hunt the condor zone and want to shoot ground squirrels with out having to change ammo. The win super x is less then $1 more the the Walmart bulk paks of cheap dove loads. I used the win super x for dove this year in imperial and killed just as many dove. I also used it this weekend on pheasants and killed just as many.

Again I'm not supporting the law. It's dumb but with the $1000s we spend on fuel and hotels and guns to hunt who the hell cares about a buck more for 25 shells. I'm in now way rich I struggle more then most and work 2 jobs so I can afford to hunt but come on my coyote rounds are a buck a piece. My 45-70 is 3 bucks every time I pull the trigger. A buck per 25 shells is not going to keep me from hunting.

I'm hoping it won't be expensive in terms of dental bills after chomping on a steel pellet. Just the other day I fried up some wabbit from the freezer, and bit on a lead #7, which wasn't fun but could've worse if it were steel vice lead. It happens.. hunt hard, chew softly I guess.

Thanks GSPman, can I ask where you buy your #7 steel? not sure if they will make #8, bass pro is 8 bucks a box, don't get me wrong ill pay 8 bucks but if there's a better deal out there I'm in. I buy shells for 3 hunters in my family, lets just say my youngest son isn't the best shot lol. pheasant iv always used steel in case I jump a duck in the canals.

From what I've found and what Winchester rep told me you should go 1/2 to 1 whole size bigger then you usually shot in lead. It is different and shoots different so I use 7s for dove and quail and 6's for pheasant and rabbits. I buy it from wallys or turners if they have a sale. I never pay more the 6.50 for a box. It is a low nickle shell so it's not really powerful. I think of it as a comparison to the cheap 100 packs that come out to 5-5.50 a box usually. When I really want to nock them down with some extra power I get federal steel high brass game loads but they are high brass and you pay for it at 8-9 a box. I'm the king of making money stretch I feel you. I've got 3 kids 16 and under as well as 9 grandchildren 3 are coming up pretty fast in age to hunt plus my self and my wife. (She always get the best).

Thanks for the info, bass pro is at 79.00 a case for #7 1oz. very reasonable

I also picked up some Win Super X steel recently at Wally World La Mesa.. they had #6, 7, and 7.5 in stock I think. Came in handy, as we got checked by wardens at one of the WAs. Not the best loads I guess but hey it killed stuff.

SurfNHuntSD said:
I also picked up some Win Super X steel recently at Wally World La Mesa.. they had #6, 7, and 7.5 in stock I think. Came in handy, as we got checked by wardens at one of the WAs. Not the best loads I guess but hey it killed stuff.

Watch the 7.5's......They're lead, if you're looking for steel......$54.90 a box at my Wal-Mart (just bought another case today).

ps......They're also selling Tasco trail cams for $35.00......Can never have too many...... ;D

The wording is kinda confusing. Can we still use lead shot for dove only if its on a licensed game bird club?

RRF26,

You can use lead for doves just about anywhere except state wildlife areas & preserves until 2019.....Licensed game birds covers pheasant & I suppose chukar.....Wild chukar & pheasant, you must use non-toxic shot.

ps.....It's still OK to shoot quail with lead till 2019 as well.....Same laws applie about state wildlife areas & preserves.

Reactions: Sigalert2012
Please forgive my ignorance but the way I am reading the regs this year starts the non lead for upland game except for licensed game preserves.
Hopefully I'm reading it wrong

Please forgive my ignorance but the way I am reading the regs this year starts the non lead for upland game except for licensed game preserves.
Hopefully I'm reading it wrong

T,

You are reading it wrong......Dove, quail, & snipe can be shot with lead.....EXCEPT on state wildlife areas, preserves, and the condor range.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu