Not much going on

Big Jim

Aug 6, 2015
well,,,,, launched my boat at 5am, scooted out a ways, waiting for Wister to shoot, normally a bit early........ 6:16 came around, nada, hmmmmm, checked the old clock, it was time. Then heard a few, I waited and waited, and waited. The area is pretty slow to say the least, few spoons cruising around. Weather was perfect, few sprinkles nice breeze but nada, ended up with 2 teal, one very young cinnie. Beats the crap out of mowing the lawn, I'll hit it again this sat.

Reactions: msailor
I hunted public land. Usually I can shoot a few birds. But a few guys right before shoot time pulled up to the same pond and threw there decoys from the road and set up some stupid blind. Ducks would not work the pond we were on because those guys. I got a shot at one teal and missed. Then they pulled their truck up to the blind and I was thinking they were finally going to leave and it took them over an hour to leave. They let the kid with them paddle the boat around the pond I was on while they just sat there. He came less than a hundred yards from me. Needles to say while their truck was parked there and the kid was on the boat every duck that flew buy stayed far away from the pond we were on.
I know I shouldn't expect much from public land but I wish a holes would just have some etiquette. If there is some one on a pond when you show up go find another pond. And please don't park your truck right next to the pond and let your kid stand up on a boat and paddle around for a half hour if there is someone else hunting that pond!

Hunted the sea last Thursday and got out to our blind late, but heard sporadic shots from first light til about 9 or so. It was real slow going, no luck for us. Heard from a friend on the other side of the sea who had similar slow results.

Not sure what the problem is with the bay this year, Birds just not using it in numbers like years past. Past years boat to the blind and kick up 500 to 1K birds, this season lucky to kick up 30.
Water might be too deep now, before water was 1" on the shore line, now 4" to 5". Tullies are holding the water back from going into the sea.

Reactions: Big Jim
Ha! Yes, the back rest alone in the laydown would make you happy in that spot.
I don't know, I have napped on that dirt a few times, it is pretty comfy.

Layouts at Wister just don't really make much sense. The cover on the dikes generally allow you to be well concealed from a sitting stance. Sitting and being able to shoot 360 works well for ducks. Add in arrow weed and you are set.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2dogs1name

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu