Not SoCal, but....

B W E said:
Ghost said:
Great work and hell of shot at 650 yards.which scope where you using.

Thank you! I was using the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 w/ Mildot BDC. I don't use the BDC... I prefer the elevation turret and have everything I need to know printed on a small card inside the scope cap. The scope tracks beautifully, and I can get 1st shot hits at 200, then 300, 400, 500, 600 sequentially on 6" steel targets.

Here was my shooting position...Shot prone across the valley onto the opposite hillside. One shot... BANG...THWACK. Then my brother-in-law and dad both say "he's down" and my brother-in-law says "and he aint getting up." This was my first game animal...and it was perfect!

hahahaha great story. and thank you for the feed back. good shooting

SurfNHuntSD said:
Awesome animal and shot! 650 is no joke. What kind of rifle is that? Looks like an A Bolt but hard to tell.

The rifle is a Savage 111 in .30-06. The recurring joke throughout the hunt was that the .30-06 is only capable of taking big game at 200 yds. or less. We disproved that theory. My caribou was 650, my B-I-L took a caribou at 260, dad took a moose at 424, and then our last moose was 160. All .30-06.

B W E said:
SurfNHuntSD said:
Awesome animal and shot! 650 is no joke. What kind of rifle is that? Looks like an A Bolt but hard to tell.

The rifle is a Savage 111 in .30-06. The recurring joke throughout the hunt was that the .30-06 is only capable of taking big game at 200 yds. or less. We disproved that theory. My caribou was 650, my B-I-L took a caribou at 260, dad took a moose at 424, and then our last moose was 160. All .30-06.
yep shot placement

+1, 3 most important things in hunting are... shot placement, shot placement, and not to be forgotten shot placement :)

Great job man!

And here all this time I thought it was 6mm 243 and 6mm

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu