NWTF Meeting Jan 22nd, 2019

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Hi guys,

Next meeting is Jan 22nd.....This meeting will be basically a recap of our hunting seasons and the upcoming Spring Turkey Tune-Up.....We can always use help for event of this size (250-450 like minded folks).

If there are vendors out there that relate to hunting.....Please contact me.....It's free and gets pretty good exposure to our hunting community here in SoCal.....Turner's, Flydown Custom Calls, Willow Creek Archery, Mother Lode Custom Calls, are some of the vendors from last year.

.011.JPG

Great time to get to meet and greet.
I will try to make it these year.
Last year was rough time with monetary issues and darn vehicles.
I would really recommend all newbies come to this event, even the pros to
Give up the vast and great experience
They have acquired over the years.
In the past my time was limited.
Now it's monetary issues.
But now more than ever we need
This more. Also it's great to listen to the
Great hunting war stories.
Best
Lee

Steve it would be great to have some
Of the archery and turkey pros
Give quick lessons on a range.
Is that being done this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve it would be great to have some
Of the archery and turkey pros
Give quick lessons on a range.
Is that being done this year?

Lee,

The range is open for both shotgun and archery.....I don't know how professional they are...lol...But I think they know what their talking about thru experience.....One of the best reloaders I know will be there too....His TSS turkey loads are killer from 12 gauge to .410.

ps....20 gauge TSS load at 50 yds.

.012.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I would like to go if possible. My wife REALLY wants to take a turkey, but has yet to go. The 22nd is her birthday, and she just might enjoy this event.

Where is it and what time?

Lee,

The range is open for both shotgun and archery.....I don't know how professional they are...lol...But I think they know what their talking about thru experience.....One of the best reloaders I know will be there too....His TSS turkey loads are killer from 12 gauge to .410.

ps....20 gauge TSS load at 50 yds.

.View attachment 37462

What gauge and size shot do you recommend for Turkey hunting?

Just my opinion but I even like #4 shot.
But that was with lead. Non lead will take practice. 5 or 6.
Shotguns must be steel shot approved.
No older shotguns not made for steel shot , barrel will rupture.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I would like to go if possible. My wife REALLY wants to take a turkey, but has yet to go. The 22nd is her birthday, and she just might enjoy this event.

Where is it and what time?

Nuevo,

The meeting is held at Fillippi's Pizzeria in Poway....Starts at 6:30 pm (most of us get there earlier for dinner)….I love their pizza.

Hope to see you there.

Reactions: Nuevo
What gauge and size shot do you recommend for Turkey hunting?

12 gauge, but 20's with Hevi-Shot or TSS are deadly.....Remember, You're shooting at the head & neck.

Lead is no good now and even though steel shot is OK'd for turkeys, I don't recommend it.....Invest in Hevi-Shot or one of the companies that make a similar blend of tungsten....Federal TSS is the latest rage, but it's even slightly more expensive than Hevi-Shot.....You may only get one shot a season.....Have the BEST available shotshell.

Federal TSS....3" 1 3/4 oz 7's....About $35.00 a box of 5....Turner's (Fine Firearms?)

Hevi-Shot Blend.....3" 2 oz 5,6,7's....About $33.00 from Bass Pro.....Box of 5.

ps.....Winchester Long Beard XR (extended range) is not lead free.

pss….Copper plated lead is still lead (Federal 3rd Degree)….No bueno

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys!! And Jason, how do you know if a choke can handle non-lead shot?
Jorge,

Aftermarket chokes should say in the product description, e.g., my Kicks High Flyers are patterned for steel and can handle other non-lead ammo except Fed Black Cloud. Stock chokes are sometimes marked.. mine (Benelli Mobil) list the constrictions for steel and lead, with the full saying "lead only," for the reasons Lee pointed out. Definitely don't want to put a wad o' steel down a lead-only full choke.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
So here is the dope.
Older shotgun barrels we're design an manufactured. To with stand the impact of lead, and pressure.
The metal type, hardness, and thickness of the wall.
Lead is very forgiving. Very soft and deforms easily. So the wear and deformation of the barrel was basically nil.
Impact of steel on steel is very bad.
I have done many studies on failure analysis. Components designed and manufacture for millions of cycles.
Yet sometimes fail prematurely.
There to many factors to discuss.
The barrels walls are thicker and more robust. But it doesn't mean it can't fail.
The problem I see is dove hunting loads just got more expensive so has shotguns. To with stand the impact and pressure of non lead.
And old shotguns with the standards are now basically obsolete. Unsafe to shoot.

So here is the dope.
Older shotgun barrels we're design an manufactured. To with stand the impact of lead, and pressure.
The metal type, hardness, and thickness of the wall.
Lead is very forgiving. Very soft and deforms easily. So the wear and deformation of the barrel was basically nil.
Impact of steel on steel is very bad.
I have done many studies on failure analysis. Components designed and manufacture for millions of cycles.
Yet sometimes fail prematurely.
There to many factors to discuss.
The barrels walls are thicker and more robust. But it doesn't mean it can't fail.
The problem I see is dove hunting loads just got more expensive so has shotguns. To with stand the impact and pressure of non lead.
And old shotguns with the standards are now basically obsolete. Unsafe to shoot.
That is in California

Hi guys,

Next meeting is Jan 22nd.....This meeting will be basically a recap of our hunting seasons and the upcoming Spring Turkey Tune-Up.....We can always use help for event of this size (250-450 like minded folks).

If there are vendors out there that relate to hunting.....Please contact me.....It's free and gets pretty good exposure to our hunting community here in SoCal.....Turner's, Flydown Custom Calls, Willow Creek Archery, Mother Lode Custom Calls, are some of the vendors from last year.

.View attachment 37460

Can't wait!

just to be clear, when is the actual spring tune up? Is it February 23rd?

.....You may only get one shot a season.

I bought a box of heavy shot last year...
So I have enough for about 10 years!!!

LOL!!!

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu