Offshore Thur 7/20

bajaandy

Jul 9, 2017
North County
Just got done doing some boat maintenance last week and needed to do a little shake down cruise. For those of you that have heard about the jumbo Bluefin, that's what we were chasing yesterday. Sorry to say we didn't get into them.

Started the day at the boat barn at 0-dark thirty. In the water at Mission Bay Dana Landing by 5:30. (It was a shake down for the boat maintenance, so not a super duper early start.) As part of the maintenance I had changed out the fuel water separators, which if you've done em, know that they look like an old school oil filter about a quart size. The tricky part is getting the fuel to fill those bad boys up to get flow going. Got the port motor working just fine, and of course the starboard had just enough fuel to fire up and then get half way to the dock before she died. A few minutes at the dock getting the siphon going with the old squeeze bulb and all was right again.

Bought a scoop of nice 5" sardine at the bait barge and then headed due west. We followed the 32*47' line all the way out the the 118*00' and started flying the kite. Sea conditions were ideal. Calm seas and light winds, just enough to get the kite in the air and skip the yumee flyer. We worked that area all day, running up and down the 118 line, sometimes inside, sometimes out. Never saw a single fish all day long. Radio chatter was pretty much the same. A few boats looking and only heard a couple of guys hook up.

Called it at 5:30 in the afternoon to make the 40 nautical mile run back to the bay. The seas couldn't have been nicer. We ran at 30kts all the way back with a following sea and light wind. Made it back to the bay with plenty of light to pull the boat. Made the run back to the barn for clean up. Home by 9:00. Great day on the water. Boat ran great all day. Only thing that woulda made it better would've been to see some game fish. That's ok. I was out on the big pond all day. Gonna hit it again Monday.

Andy,

Man, I respect you big water guys.....I'd have a tough time trolling all day for not a single blow-up.....Nice to hear the boat is good to go.

Great effort. It's a numbers game for sure. Put in the hours and you'll eventually hook one of those greyhound busses. Just be careful what you wish for lol.

We did the same today out of mission bay straight out. Flew the kite most of the day for nothing. Picked up some yellowtail on the way out. Saw one school of yellowfin up by San Clemente but no takers. Docked the boat at 9:05

Reactions: TRICER and NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu