Oh, Canada....2023

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Got to the Canadian border on Tuesday morning...The customs gal was the nicest we've ever had...And, the agent inside was a good guy too...The whole process may have taken us 30 minutes...Nice change from years past.... :blush:

Our 1st stop was in Lethbridge and Canadian Tire...Another easy peasy process in getting our licenses and waterfowl stamp (post office)...On to Vulcan and seeing farmers Ronnie and I have met over the years...Before we get to our 1st farm, we noticed how dry things were...The farther we drove...The drier it got...In fact. sloughs and ponds we had hunted in years past were ALL bone dry...As we started talking to our friends...They all expressed that this is the 3rd year in a row with little rain...After driving miles, we finally found a DU project that had pretty good water...One thing about DU Canada...Any project that they've done is legal for us to hunt despite the property being private (we had permission from the land owner anyway)...Not a ton of birds, but obviously. the most we had see and there were even 6 sandhills in a nearby field...We decided we would hunt it in the morning...;)

We get to the pond/slough early, but going in, we scared the 6 or 7 honkers and sandhills off...Ronnie had decided to set up for the sandies near the pond and I would shoot the slough to the east...As daybreak broke, the birds started trickling in...When the bell went off, I got my 1st shot of the season and duck...Widgeon...With the confusion, I get 2 more widgeon...I chipped away for the next 1 1/2 hours and get 4 more ducks and a honker...The sandhills never came back...So, Ronnie didn't shoot much and got 1 widgeon...I needed one more duck and wouldn't you know it...Big old bull pintail...I love sprig...:heart:

We then packed up and moved north...Canada is a funny place...You can go from dry as a bone to lush and green in no time...The farther north we went, the greener it got...In fact, so green and wet that many of the fields of barley and wheat were unharvested...It didn't take long until we started seeing familiar places (we haven't been here since 2019) and some crops were off...The 1st place we found looked great, a few hundred ducks and geese...We decided to check it (and others) out Wednesday morning...We get to the field and who's hunting it...The famous Claudio Ongara...:confused:...Oh well, we secured the quarter section next door for Thursday morning (Ongaro had tried to get permish)...:cool:

Thursday morning was cool and windy...Perfect conditions...The field was also full of haybales (our fave)...WE put out the 4 dozen silhouettes and set back...As dawn started to break, the sky was alive with ducks...We should've waited till we could see better, but hey, we're hunting...1st couple of birds were widgeon, then it was pintail (we're allowed 4), and lastly, mallards...Great duck shoot and we added a speck and 2 honkers...Take that Claudio...:joy:

Today we hunted a field that is owned by the brother of the folks that I stayed with the very 1st time I came up (2001)...Very hidden and amongst the trees, but I a place I had hunted before...Perfect for a willow blind...One of the problems here is, many of the birds roost nearby...So, you take a big chance when the 1st shots go off...Sure enough, when we let loose on the 1st flight of mallards...The sky was full of ducks and geese...LEAVING the area...It wasn't long though and they start coming back...In pretty short order, we had our 16 ducks (15 lards, 1 pinny) and we were working on our darks...1st goose was a speck that Ronnie got...Then it was 15 honkers in a row...8:15 and we were done...What a shoot!...:heart:

ps...I've talked to Claudio many times and he's a good guy...He is absolutely the best outfitter up here...#1

IMG_1878.JPGIMG_1890.JPGIMG_2002.JPGIMG_2014.JPGIMG_2028.JPGIMG_2076.JPGIMG_2077.JPGIMG_2085.JPGIMG_2087.JPGIMG_2096.JPG

I agree , keep the pictures coming ! what are temps morning to midday ? Also I see tire tracks in the grass in one photo , were you able to drive to blind sites ?

I agree , keep the pictures coming ! what are temps morning to midday ? Also I see tire tracks in the grass in one photo , were you able to drive to blind sites ?

Mid 6o's to low 70's during the day...Cool in the morning....Most fields can be driven too....We're only using 4 dozen silos with a couple of spinners....If and when we need to go bigger...We will break out the decoy trailer.

IMG_2073.JPGcanada 2007 day 5 013.jpg

Last edited:
That' s how the pros get it done !! Decent temps it sounds like , Are you in BC ?

Mike and Jacob show up today and don't you know it...It's raining as I type...Rain up here is no bueno for the waterfowler...Limited entry into the fields...Plus, mud up here is slicker the snot.

We'll try to find some walk in places this morning...Plus, we have the problem of very few honkers around...Mostly specks and they're hop scotching from field to field (30,000 birds eat places out quickly)...They're also hard to decoy with so many birds in the air, but somebody (mostly juvies) make mistakes...We've gone with small spreads and yesterday, we actually set-up sandhill decoys after seeing some in the field we were going to hunt...They never showed up, but enough specks gave us a look to get 12 plus a honker...The limit of specks went front 5 to 8 since we were last here...2019

Fall is defiantly here...We're starting to see more deer, and heard elk bugling...Now, just stop raining...... :blush:

IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2165.JPGIMG_2171.JPGIMG_2196.JPGIMG_2192.JPGIMG_2188.JPGIMG_2203.JPG

Mike and Jacob show up today and don't you know it...It's raining as I type...Rain up here is no bueno for the waterfowler...Limited entry into the fields...Plus, mud up here is slicker the snot.

We'll try to find some walk in places this morning...Plus, we have the problem of very few honkers around...Mostly specks and they're hop scotching from field to field (30,000 birds eat places out quickly)...They're also hard to decoy with so many birds in the air, but somebody (mostly juvies) make mistakes...We've gone with small spreads and yesterday, we actually set-up sandhill decoys after seeing some in the field we were going to hunt...They never showed up, but enough specks gave us a look to get 12 plus a honker...The limit of specks went front 5 to 8 since we were last here...2019

Fall is defiantly here...We're starting to see more deer, and heard elk bugling...Now, just stop raining...... :blush:

View attachment 59751
View attachment 59753View attachment 59754View attachment 59755View attachment 59756View attachment 59758View attachment 59759
You know Steve, just being in a place like that is worth the trip. Lots of great memories with great friends.

The boys (Jacob & Mike) showed up here in Alberta last Wednesday afternoon...Because they had delays and it had rained all day...We did not hunt...We made up for it though in the next 3 days...Great shoots for mallards, specks and honkers (and, the 1st shovel dog of thr season... :joy: )...Wonderful weather and good times with our Canadian friends...Couldn't have asked for anything more....The kids left yesterday...
❤

ps...Did I mention, I got my 1st banded duck up in Canada...
1f44d.png

IMG_2219.JPGIMG_2241.JPGIMG_2258.JPGIMG_2279.JPGIMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2303.JPGIMG_2334.JPGIMG_2338.JPGIMG_2344.JPGIMG_2368.JPGIMG_2371.JPGIMG_2376.JPG

Sportsman's paradise..gotta be hard to come home stevo...kids and family prolly soften it quite a bit though..strong work .

• Love
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu