Old Freezer burned kill Meat

melbruki123

Jun 10, 2013
Hello everyone I have a german shepherd puppy and he is alergic to regular puppy food he vomits it.. he is only 4 months old. He can only eat raw meat. except im going broke feeding him. If anyone has any old meat that they dont need or going to throw away.. freezer burned or whatever. I would very much appreciate anything anyone can offer me. I live in the OC area. Im willing to drive 20 min to pick it up.

Thank you in advance everyone

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hope you guys get what you need Mel. He is a good looking pup, don't give up on him. Hang in there deer season is just around the corner there should be plenty of scraps from the OC boys. If I have any scraps this season I will find a way to get them to you.

Is he allergic to raw chicken? If not, consider buying 10-lb packages of chicken leg quarters, or even larger quantities. A market near my house regularly sells these bags for $7.95, and will sometimes go on sale for $5.00. At $.50/lb, it's cheaper than many high-quality dog foods. My dog has allergies as well (turns out to be flea allergies, as opposed to food), and for a while I was cutting things out. I froze the chicken leg quarters, and fed them to him as chicken-sicles. He prefers to inhale rather than chew his food, so leaving it frozen forces him to chew. He loves it! Don't worry about the bones- you probably know that it's the cooked bones which are problematic.

Some dogs love carrots, so if your dog is not allergic to them, these and other vegetables would make a good supplement to the raw meat, and they're CHEAP! Sweet potatoes/yams are more expensive than potatoes, but might be palatable to the dog, especially when cooked and mixed with the raw meat.

Another option is rabbit, but you have to be careful. My dog got tapeworms within days of my feeding him whole, raw rabbit. 1 dose of praziquantal (sp?) took care of it, but it's gross. The juvenile worms live in the gut of the rabbit, so make sure that the entrails are completely removed. The leg bones can be quite sharp, so you might want to remove those.

And what about fish- is he allergic to that? If not, sardines, anchovies, small mackerel might be something that people wouldn't immediately think of but might be willing to part with. Instead of throwing them to the gulls, maybe they'll give them to you? My dog seemed to enjoy them. Make sure they're fresh (or freshly frozen), though. My dog got an upset stomach from a mackerel that wasn't fresh, and he vomited it on the carpet. :eek: Some of the guys here are pretty good at shooting carp with their bows, and these are usually trashed. I think filets from behind the ribs might be a good protein source.

Now, remember guys, the limit on coots is 25 per day during the season. And let's face it, some days at the refuge are pretty slow, and you know you want to shoot them. So why not let loose, and shoot some for this young dog? Did that spoony you shot have rice breast? I think we know a good home for it.

If you're ever going to be down by San Diego, shoot me a PM. I've got a gallon bag full of quality deer scraps that I saved for the dogs from last Fall's hunting trip to Wyoming, along with some frozen, meaty leg bones. Fido's teeth will be squeaky clean!

I hope some of this helps!

yeah that is a good idea chicken quarters Ill go check out wallmart and see what they have. I live in OC so definitly if im ever in San Diego ill let you know..

thanks alot everyone for your input

wow crazy....what is the component in regular dog food that he is having trouble with? You can dog food in all kinds of mixes and with out the petsmart type additives. Flint river ranch is my personal fav. http://www.frrco.com/

Im sure you already ran all this past your vet and all but if not i have a GREAT vet that could help you i am sure....

see now i got interested in it and look at what i found
http://stevesrealfood.com/raw-dog-food/raw-dog-food-online/

I will have a lot of it come November if you can make it till then.

I've got a German Shepherd as well (12 years old) and he's on a raw diet. Check any fishing outfits in your area for whole frozen fish on the cheap. Chesapeake Fish Co here in San Diego has frozen Mackerel that the old man goes bonkers for.

Good luck!

Two of my hunting dogs have food allergies, they have a half raw, half blue buffalo diet which seems to work. Try going down to the fish market early in the morning and see if you can get fish scraps. Frozen anchovies aren't bad either and those have high in fish oil so it will be good for him.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu