Old shotguns, what is the best size shot for bismuth, all types of hunting

doccherry

May 7, 2021
I kept the Model 12 I was trying to sell on this forum and I have an 11-48 16 ga. in great condition. I want to use them in CA and elsewhere, but in order to do that, I need to use bismuth. I have 100's of primed 16 and 20 ga hulls, 1000 primers, wads, and powder. Plenty for lots of shells. Question is, what size shot would be the best for everything but doves? Smaller waterfowl, pheasants, grouse, rabbits, etc. That stuff is expensive and I only want to get one or two size shot. Much appreciated.

I kept the Model 12 I was trying to sell on this forum and I have an 11-48 16 ga. in great condition. I want to use them in CA and elsewhere, but in order to do that, I need to use bismuth. I have 100's of primed 16 and 20 ga hulls, 1000 primers, wads, and powder. Plenty for lots of shells. Question is, what size shot would be the best for everything but doves? Smaller waterfowl, pheasants, grouse, rabbits, etc. That stuff is expensive and I only want to get one or two size shot. Much appreciated.
I think I would go with #6.

Doc,

I have a 11-48 as well in 16 gauge...I found steel at I think Roger's...My 11-48 has a modified barrel...So, steel was no problem for pheasant...In Montana, I obviously use lead.

ps...Does your 11-48 have a rib?

pss....I used #4 shot.

010.JPG

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Doc your model 12 has a FULL choke if I remember correctly. I'm no reloading expert but it is very likely you will need to keep the shot size small. Perhaps you can do a duplex type load with a mix of 4s and 6s. From what I have seen as of late, these types of loads are making stuff really dead.
Again not sure about bismuth with a full choke shotgun, Do your homework.

Doc your model 12 has a FULL choke if I remember correctly. I'm no reloading expert but it is very likely you will need to keep the shot size small. Perhaps you can do a duplex type load with a mix of 4s and 6s. From what I have seen as of late, these types of loads are making stuff really dead.
Again not sure about bismuth with a full choke shotgun, Do your homework.
Thanks. Will stick with bismuth and lead for the Model 12. The 11-48 is modified. Waiting to hear from Steve re: steel shot. Everything I could research told me to never use steel---period---end of discussion, or steel is OK if mod choke or more open and using shot smaller than #2. Don't know who to trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: garlicsalt
Doc,

I shoot steel at most everything these days...Way superior than the original steel loads...In fact, I do use lead in Montana, Utah, etc., but leads are different with the much slower lead...Almost prefer steel...Almost...;)

It's no easy task finding 16 gauge steel either, but it is out there...I shoot basically nothing but 6's & 7's...I did find steel 6 1/2's made by Winchester in Montana last season...Euros & pigeons seem to like em... :skull:

ps...That's a Browning Superposed (1962)...Full & modified...No problems with small steel...:blush:

Dairy euros '22 1.JPG

Reactions: doccherry
I am in the same boat.

I have a Winchester Model 12 with a fixed full choke seating in my garage. I shot it a few times pre-steel times. I am sure is a Duck gun but I don't know what to do with it.

I would sell it.

I am in the same boat.

I have a Winchester Model 12 with a fixed full choke seating in my garage. I shot it a few times pre-steel times. I am sure is a Duck gun but I don't know what to do with it.

I would sell it.

Basically, a wall hanger these days....But, a very cool wall hanger.............. :heart:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu