Old Stag down

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Hunted the "C" with one of my best friends SIL's, Anthony yesterday....The morning started off really slow...Three does and a yearling was all that was seen...Another friend Robert was out on the club as well...I even went looking for dove and never pulled the trigger....:(

We all went and had lunch...Then came up with a game plan for the afternoon...With a strong, warm Santa Ana wind, one of the cattle drinkers set up perfectly...Anthony had never shot a deer...So, this gave him a great opportunity to get a good look at a buck at fairly close range, if one came in, Robert went to the back of another nearby zone, and I stayed fairly close to Anthony dove shooting again (Not many doves came in, but ran into a good covey of quail).,,:heart_eyes:

As the evening started to get later, I was in contact with both Anthony and Robert...By 4:30 pm, Robert had only seen a spike...Anthony hadn't seen anything...I am now leaving my spot and see 2 does...Then 2 more... Deer are moving, but no bucks yet....:confused:

Couple minutes go by, and I hear it...Kapoow!...I get a text, "Got it"...Within a couple of minutes, I'm with Anthony...I look at the buck and it's in full velvet...He had been seen before, but what Robert, me, and others hadn't seen was his little kicker 3rd point (nice to have young eyes)......;)

Big old guy and the question about bucks that never loose their velvet and having no balls was answered...No balls......:D

Congrats Anthony...Great hunt and 1st buck!...Should make a great euro mount.......:blush:

ps...3 dove and 7 quail for this old guy...... :joy:

IMG_3338.JPGIMG_3343.JPGIMG_3346.JPGIMG_E3347.JPGIMG_3348.JPGIMG_3332.JPG

Last edited:
Did forget to mention that copper pill is from a 6.5 CM?...................... :joy:

Quartering away shot...Big entrance hole thru rib cage...Found bullet under his chin...................:skull:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu