on leave trying to go turkey hunting

GSE2

non sibi sed patriae(not for self but for country)
Aug 15, 2013
San Diego
deer season didn't go so well for me and my G10 tag is still in my backpack......so i wanna try and get a turkey. however i have no idea where to start, well that's not completely true i stopped by fine firearms and got some magnum 5 shot. i know there's turkeys near Julian heard/saw them camping near lake Cuyamaca. i haven't been able to shout at all due to deer season and work cant really spot turkeys from the middle of the ocean.any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated i only have the next week then my leave expires i would really like to get something or a least learn.

Thanks for serving GSE2. Some turkey hunters will surely chime in!

GSE2

Turkeys are smart Wiley critters. It takes a bunch of time to locate them & you need very good camo setup. a good ground blind is helpful but not necessary. just sit very still when turkey's are around.
a bow , or a good shotgun or a powerful airgun will do the trick.. these turkey's here are very hard to call in. sometime it's better to locate them, & hope they walk by.
a lot of guy's are still deer hunting so it may be a hard crunch. unless breacher has volunteered. :D
best to go to National Forest , locate them then go in before daylight. Turkeys can disappear like ghost.
if you do try to call, practice , practice, & practice. nothing will chase turkeys off quick then a wrong call.

HTH
LBH2

i don't really have a lot of money so i haven't been able to get a good camo set up i was just going to go with darker colored cloths.what kind of call should i start with and where can i buy one locally?

why don't you do just as I suggested to another poster, & hit one of the paid to hunt ranches. scouting turkey takes a bunch of time & effort,
lost of gas & lot's of hiking. it would be cheaper for one day shoot a couple of birds. pheasant, quail . $ 100 at the most.
camo is a must for turkey. I would say that Turkey eyesight is very very good, anything unnatural & it will spot it.
another option would be to hit the thrift stores or at walmart, buy some camo cargo pants $15, a cheap jacket that is $15-50.

I probably hit up a thift shop I don't wanna just shoot a turkey I wanna earn it I got no complants with hiking miles plus I wanna learn don't wanna go my whole life having someone else do the work for me any suggestions on what kind of call and where

turkey box caller would be a good start. watch some of the youtube videos. mouth piece is also good but takes more effort in learning.
then there is the friction callers. all take some learning. buy some national forest maps at the local ranger stations & start scouting.
they are every where. just locating them is the fun part. if using shotgun make sure to follow state laws far as 150 yards from any building, parking lot, picnic areas, trails or people.

You can learn to use a diaphram call if you practice while you are driving to work in the morning and evenings (or whenever it is that you come on go from work). That is what I did to learn and use it. I recorded turkey calls and loaded them into my iPhone and would play them back, trying to replicate what I was hearing. LongBowHunter2 is right about the mouth/diaphram call taking more effort to learn to use. :)

Out of all game I believe turkey you need to be the most camoed up. They see better than Eagles

In my experience turkeys don't respond to calls as much as they do in he spring. Try to pattern them once you locate some then set up and hope they make to your general location.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu