Opening Day Success

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I was successful in filling my first deer tag on the opening day of my season last Saturday. Definitely not the biggest buck out there, but a very fun experience.

I tried hunting a new area on opening morning and it turned out to be a bust. The only thing we saw moving through this area were coyotes, one of which my hunting buddy took out with a head shot at 120 yards! After refueling with some lunch, we decided to drive to an area that we know has some deer. I started hiking around 3pm and spent about an hour and a half moving up some steep areas on the mountain. Once I reached the peak, I slowly worked my way back down the mountain on a different route.

I came to this clearing with a lot of knee to waist high sage brush and saw the body of a deer above the brush-line. It was eating with its head down, so I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. I sat there for a couple minutes before the deer finally lifted its head and, Bingo! Its a buck! I decided to follow the "don't pass on the first day what you would take on the last day" rule. Now I've got one tag filled and will work to get a more mature buck with my second tag.

Attachments

• Deer 2013 (2).jpg
    Deer 2013 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • Deer 2013 (1).jpg_thumb.png
    Deer 2013 (1).jpg_thumb.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
Well done! A Win is still a Win! What zone were you hunting in?

HunterBK is on the board......................................... Well done Brian ! I believe that is the first rifle buck in the contest. That put's you in first place for now.
(Are you in the military?)

BuckHunter said:
HunterBK is on the board......................................... Well done Brian ! I believe that is the first rifle buck in the contest. That put's you in first place for now.
(Are you in the military?)

Thanks BuckHunter. No, I'm not military.

Although I registered for the contest, i didn't submit this buck yet. I figured I wouldn't win with a buck this size, haha. I'm hoping that was a safe assumption?

Yes, but for the next week or so you can tell all your buddy's you're in first place. LOL Congrats on the buck !

nice bro i got to hunt with you in that area i wanna get a buck there an fill my tag

Good job!! Definitely easier to hold off once you have venison in the freezer. Hope you nail a D13 monster with your second tag.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu