Opening Day Success

HunterBK

I was successful in filling my first deer tag on the opening day of my season last Saturday. Definitely not the biggest buck out there, but a very fun experience.

I tried hunting a new area on opening morning and it turned out to be a bust. The only thing we saw moving through this area were coyotes, one of which my hunting buddy took out with a head shot at 120 yards! After refueling with some lunch, we decided to drive to an area that we know has some deer. I started hiking around 3pm and spent about an hour and a half moving up some steep areas on the mountain. Once I reached the peak, I slowly worked my way back down the mountain on a different route.

I came to this clearing with a lot of knee to waist high sage brush and saw the body of a deer above the brush-line. It was eating with its head down, so I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. I sat there for a couple minutes before the deer finally lifted its head and, Bingo! Its a buck! I decided to follow the "don't pass on the first day what you would take on the last day" rule. Now I've got one tag filled and will work to get a more mature buck with my second tag.

Attachments

• Deer 2013 (2).jpg
    Deer 2013 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • Deer 2013 (1).jpg_thumb.png
    Deer 2013 (1).jpg_thumb.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
Well done! A Win is still a Win! What zone were you hunting in?

HunterBK is on the board......................................... Well done Brian ! I believe that is the first rifle buck in the contest. That put's you in first place for now.
(Are you in the military?)

BuckHunter said:
HunterBK is on the board......................................... Well done Brian ! I believe that is the first rifle buck in the contest. That put's you in first place for now.
(Are you in the military?)

Thanks BuckHunter. No, I'm not military.

Although I registered for the contest, i didn't submit this buck yet. I figured I wouldn't win with a buck this size, haha. I'm hoping that was a safe assumption?

Yes, but for the next week or so you can tell all your buddy's you're in first place. LOL Congrats on the buck !

Nice job HBK! You are up on Facebook!

Good job!! Definitely easier to hold off once you have venison in the freezer. Hope you nail a D13 monster with your second tag.

Back