Optics recommendations

Camo_Man

Jan 18, 2015
Can't find a thread on this.

I'm considering my options on a good bow hunting optics set up.

I have some bulky marine binoculars that are too heavy, bulky, and too low of power magnification.

I'm looking at bumping up to a 10x42 magnification or stronger on my binoculars but I'm questioning dropping the coin and going stronger on the binoculars in lieu of having a spotting scope too with the 10x42 binos. Or is a spotting scope even necessary in the Southern California areas?

Question for bow hunters. What is your preferred set up. What brands/models do you prefer? I'm familiar with marine setups, not hunting, and would appreciate your experience. Thanks in advance!

I like my 10x42's........I use Vortex Diamondbacks for turkey hunting (because they're lighter). And Swarovski EL's for everything else.

For years I used cheap glass......My only regret is I didn't INVEST in the Swaro's earlier in life.......2 cents.

Lot's of options out there. Depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
After years of buying cheap glass and moving my way up to a little more expensive glass every other year. (wasted a bunch of money working my way up) I went all out and bought the 10x42 Leica HD-B's. By far the best binos I've ever owned.

Lungpopper said:
Lot's of options out there. Depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
After years of buying cheap glass and moving my way up to a little more expensive glass every other year. (wasted a bunch of money working my way up) I went all out and bought the 10x42 Leica HD-B's. By far the best binos I've ever owned.
ilovesprig said:
I like my 10x42's........I use Vortex Diamondbacks for turkey hunting (because they're lighter). And Swarovski EL's for everything else.

For years I used cheap glass......My only regret is I didn't INVEST in the Swaro's earlier in life.......2 cents.

I agree with both of these statements.I started out with a set of Leupold that I hated, now I use a set of Vortex Talon HD, But am currently saving for a set of Leica's. Don't go cheap on glass or you'll regret it and end up spending more money then needed.

10 is as big as you want to go 12 are hard to hold still with your hands. Spotter is great to have for picking the hills apart and seeing antlers but you'll be using the 10's a lot more than the spotter

As the saying goes buy once cry once.....I'd get at least a $600 budget for binocs and that maybe to low.......can't kill them if you can't see them

Buy used or demos from these guys, but first look thru a few pairs before you buy. I think BPS is the only place with a wide selection you can look thru. I bought blindly off a fellow hunters recommendations

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos.html
I'd start looking at Ziess, Leica, Swavo, Minox.....

I really like a set of leupold 8x50s I have that were $100 bucks at big 5 but I've looked through Swarovskis and they are amazing I'd suggest you buy the best optics you can afford

A little story about quality glass.......I asked my daughters boyfriend to look at my lawn at 9:00 pm and tell me what he sees......Nothing, it's dark was the response......OK, try these.....10x42 Swarovo's......He saw 5 cottontails, no problem......He actually asked me, if they were night vision glass......To me this is the big difference in the less expensive glass......Low light conditions...... Which is our most opportune time hunting.......More 2 cents

Some food for thought -

The lower the power (magnification) the larger the field of view and the more light the binocular gathers. So at low light conditions 8x bino's gather more light than 10x and so on.

Ten years ago there was an amazing disparity between optic manufacturers. This is not so today. In fact, a lot of the optic companies are contracting through the same manufacturers. The German glass is still the best but the Japanese and Austrian glass is catching up. And many of the big name optic companies are sharing the same glass but may have different lens coatings or even just different nomenclature regarding the proprietary coatings.

My point is this: You no longer have to spend tremendous amounts of money to get excellent glass. Just make sure it is coming from the above three countries and you should be ahead of the game. The high end Leupold, Bushnell, Vortex, Nightforce etc all have Japanese glass.

Leica still remains to be the best glass. If you want to know who has the best product just take a peek at what the folks use for bird watching associated with the National Audubon Society.

Now there are some anomalies to my above statements but generally speaking you will find what is said to be true.

Ha! Like the cottontail story! I was anticipating a joke as I was reading along. Very insightful. No pun intended.

All good info! Thanks . Setting up for Mules.

Sounds like I can get away with not having a spotting scope too?? I'm of the philosophy... Buy once, make it last a lifetime.

Common theme by the best glass you can afford. Two weeks ago I did just that. I ordered the vortex razor hd 10-42 with their doubler. If you aren't sure if it's worth it stop by any store with a large selection of optics and compare them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu