Outboard Mechanic

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
I have a 15 horse Merc with 13 hours on it. I need a mechanic local in San Diego. Any good referrals would be appreciated.

John,

We took our duck boat with a 50 Merc to a guy in Vista...Seems pretty good...$800.00 for a complete overall and lower end....I'll get the info, if you're interested.

This ethanol gas is terrible on small engines. I have a buddy that swears by the ethanol free stuff on motors that sit.

Stabal makes and ethanol treatment for outboards. It’s cheap especially on smaller outboards where you don’t use a ton of gas

• Love
Reactions: garlicsalt
Finding Ethanol free is gas is not all the easy these days. Anybody that runs an outboard, generator, lawnmower, pressure washer or anything that uses gas, that may sit for more than two weeks at a time needs to run an additive. If you run this equipment every day like you do your car then it is not an issue. I Like to use TECHRON marine, STA-BIL marine, there are a ton of others to choose from.

Also, I do all I can to get all fuel out of the system after use. Turn off the petcock or disconnect fuel lines and run the motor till it dies. I do these things on a Honda 40hp two Honda 8hps, mud motor, genny. pressure washer, dirt bike, quad, and all the other petrol powered junk I have around here and never have any problems...... Standby looking for a piece of wood to knock on.

And yes sound like you have a jet issue. Put a screw driver on the jet go righty tighty count the full rotations (don't forget the count) till tight, then back it out and Remove. use carb cleaner and your air compressor to remove the clog of goo. Then reinstall the jet till tight then back it off (the count number) People think carb cleaner is plenty, it is not you need the high pressure from the air compressor to blow the goo out . Do not try and clean the jet with a wire or wire brush big no no. Pretty sure it's all on YOUTUBE.
Good luck

Reactions: Podunk and duck-boy
90% of outboard-related issues is the gas we use because of the ethanol. I have spent thousands of dollars on boat engine repairs and on boat mechanics that were unable to precisely diagnose and fix an issue. They would work on the engine just to find that they didn't fix the issue.
Fuel injectors, filters, fuel pumps, fuel lines, fuel tank among others are usually where low performance of an engine lies.
I used most mechanics around San Diego...literally.
The only guys I will ever take any boat for diagnose, repairs and such is the guys in Costa Mesa.. "Maurer Marine"..I don't care if I have to tow the boat hours to see them. The service guy with the glasses is a true professional, he explains the process in detail and the rational as to why he is going to dig for the issue the way he is going to do it and he gives you options in advance.
I have friends and know hard core fisherman who onky take their boats there.
I wished I knew about them years ago.

Last edited:
I th think so. Will not idle so it may be the low end jet. It seems to run ok when running half to full speed.
An engine with 15 hrs should not have that issue. There aren't enough hours to even get the fuel system compromised.
Does it have an iddle control screw? I had a 9.9 hp Tohatsu that did that and I realized all I needed to do was to turn the iddle control bolt a little.
Is it fuel injected? If you think is a fuel injector..you can mail them out for cleaning and testing to places that do that out of state...but honestly replacing them is safer and probably cheap on a 15hp.

Cal Kona in O'side.... :blush:
Nope...tried them. 3 visits to them for the same issue in a month. They could not figure out what Murer figured out in one visit. They did recommend I buy a new prop and new fule injectors from them though but that wasn't the problem. At the end it was like ."sooo what can we do for you?"..I said how about you don't charge me for work that wont fix my boat? ...they said.."OK"..lol.
Thanks but no thanks.

• Sad
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu