Outboard motor for 13.5 aluminum

cadeerhunter

Feb 11, 2017
looking for suggestions on brand of OB motor for small 14ft boat. I have heard Mercury and Evinrude not that great. Heard that Suzuki, Johnson and Honda are the go to motors. Honest opinion welcomed. Looking for dependability in range from 10 - 18HP and priced within reason. Thanks

Are you talking about a new motor? Johnson and Evinrude were the same company. The last Johnson branded motor was made about 15 years ago. The parent company of Evinrude just stopped production. There really aren't any bad brands listed above and I would add Yamaha to it. If you're getting a new motor I'd look for the best deal on any 4 stroke from those companies that has the HP listed as the max on your yellow Coast Guard plate.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Are you talking about a new motor? Johnson and Evinrude were the same company. The last Johnson branded motor was made about 15 years ago. The parent company of Evinrude just stopped production. There really aren't any bad brands listed above and I would add Yamaha to it. If you're getting a new motor I'd look for the best deal on any 4 stroke from those companies that has the HP listed as the max on your yellow Coast Guard plate.
Don't see any yellow coast guard plate on my boat. Boat is 1972 so, I will have to look up coast guard regs for my boat size. Yea, looking for 4 stroke and to see what kind of price deals are out there.

I have had a 15 hp (full 15) Suzuki for years...2/3 pulls and starts every time...Only drawn back is that it's heavy... :blush:

.IMG_5245.JPG

Reactions: BOWUNTR
I would suggest to get the max allowable HP permitted. to get there at a reasonable speed, to point and then point b, I had a Johnson 70 HP, on 18 1/2 lg cutty, I would rinse and clean then disconnect the gas line from the tank and run it dry, never had any issues, and I was using it in saltwater. but back then it was two stroke. to bad they dis continued them. before that I had a Chrysler, I am sure it obsolete now too. I would go for Suzuki or Honda.

Had a 19-foot aluminum center console with a 40 hp Honda 4 stroke. Very reliable engine. Only had one problem with it all the time I had it and that turned out to be a bad spark plug. Even then it still ran and got us home, just a little slower. I took it to Catalina and out to the 14-mile bank and other such areas. It also was very good on gas. I carried two 12 gallon fuel tanks and never even got close to using more than half of the second tank. Did one day to Catalina from NB around the backside and then across the front of the island to the isthmus and back home, about 100 miles and used about 18 gallons of gas.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu