Owens valley

Hunter_r925

May 14, 2018
Has anyone ever hunted in the upper Owens valley/river ?? Up here for the weekend and seeing lots teal and mallards also while fly fishing I saw some nests in the thick grass where the chicks hatched out !!

Hunter,

I shot my 1st duck in about 1962 in the Owens Gorge below Crowley lake....Greenhead with my Browning 12 gauge humpy.....Since then, I've hunted the Bridgeport, Mono, Upper Owens, Laurel Ponds, Crowley, Lower Owens, Black Rock, and other secret spots....lol

A few pix from over the years....1st one is Upper Owens (1966), 2nd & 3rd Crowley Lake (1982).
.owens river 1966.jpgcrowley lake nov 1982.jpgcrowley lake 1982.jpg

Hunter,

I shot my 1st duck in about 1962 in the Owens Gorge below Crowley lake....Greenhead with my Browning 12 gauge humpy.....Since then, I've hunted the Bridgeport, Mono, Upper Owens, Laurel Ponds, Crowley, Lower Owens, Black Rock, and other secret spots....lol

A few pix from over the years....1st one is Upper Owens (1966), 2nd & 3rd Crowley Lake (1982).
.View attachment 35376View attachment 35377View attachment 35378

That’s so cool Steve ya I’m up here for 4 days on a fishing trip what beautiful country it is! I just may have to make a trip up here come hunting season

That’s so cool Steve ya I’m up here for 4 days on a fishing trip what beautiful country it is! I just may have to make a trip up here come hunting season
You should. Let me know if you need any info.

If you time it right it can be great for ducks, if you don't it can be really tough. It is definitely not refuge hunting that is for sure. You have to usually spend a day or 2 scouting before hunting. That seems to have been the best for us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hunter_r925
Wow Bowuntr, that sure is a nice Owens Valley Tule Bull ( I presume). Im saving my nickels and dimes for either an Elk hunt or an Argentina Red Stag hunt. God willing. Btw, I have seen a nice Tule herd east of Lone Pine between the ponds and mountains but I know they roam all over the valley.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu