Paying it forward... Teaching the Young Men of Tomorrow...

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Giving these future young men the kind of guidance, instruction and tips I wish I could have received at their age.
(Spent the weekend at Rainbow Basin in below freezing temps at night, Working on their Shotgun and Rifle Merit Badges)

#PassingItOn #LifeSkills #ThisIsWhereItStarts

P.S. - I dig how in this photo lil' Kevin (to my right) looks like a Russian Sniper! HA! (That's my son behind me in the blue)

Thankfully I brought my boys CZ 452 22LR along for this trip as well. Of the two rifles the ASL's brought to be used by the scouts... the one dudes older Marlin model 60... apparently the action wasn't clean and all gummed-up and it was all jam-o-matic. I had to frown at that.

Ya gotta take care of your guns if you want them to take care of you!!!

So... looking at that line of young scouts, now waiting to use just 1 measly rifle, I knew what had to be done.

After a long heavy sigh on my part.... I removed the scope from my boys rifle. (It was zeroed to perfection! Damn It!) Since they have to do the Merit Badge with iron sites. Meh... I figured this way I can review scope mounting and zeroing with my boy later-on. Oh well.
A good time was had by all.

And oh yeah, that lil "Russian Sniper"?... that kid was a natural shooter! Was getting amazing groupings for 40yds with irons!

It was a trip experiencing young boys that didn't even know how a bolt-action works. I thought that was kinda sad, personally.
So glad I got to be part of that for them.

Giving these future young men the kind of guidance, instruction and tips I wish I could have received at their age.
(Spent the weekend at Rainbow Basin in below freezing temps at night, Working on their Shotgun and Rifle Merit Badges)

#PassingItOn #LifeSkills #ThisIsWhereItStarts

P.S. - I dig how in this photo lil' Kevin (to my right) looks like a Russian Sniper! HA! (That's my son behind me in the blue)

Thankfully I brought my boys CZ 452 22LR along for this trip as well. Of the two rifles the ASL's brought to be used by the scouts... the one dudes older Marlin model 60... apparently the action wasn't clean and all gummed-up and it was all jam-o-matic. I had to frown at that.

Ya gotta take care of your guns if you want them to take care of you!!!

So... looking at that line of young scouts, now waiting to use just 1 measly rifle, I knew what had to be done.

After a long heavy sigh on my part.... I removed the scope from my boys rifle. (It was zeroed to perfection! Damn It!) Since they have to do the Merit Badge with iron sites. Meh... I figured this way I can review scope mounting and zeroing with my boy later-on. Oh well.
A good time was had by all.

And oh yeah, that lil "Russian Sniper"?... that kid was a natural shooter! Was getting amazing groupings for 40yds with irons!

It was a trip experiencing young boys that didn't even know how a bolt-action works. I thought that was kinda sad, personally.
So glad I got to be part of that for them.
View attachment 38394
Nice bro, job well done..

Reactions: TheGDog
Nice. Some of the happiest days of my youth were plinking tin cans with my grandpa.

Good stuff.

awesome!! this is part of the reason I got my son into scouts as soon as he was old enough. Basic outdoorsmen skills are dying off. Very basic skills like land nav, knots, sharpening a knife, etc are all becoming lost arts. Just having a basic understanding can really open up your life to awesome things.

Great job! I started teaching my daughter at about the same age and she is still into hunting and fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping this year to get the boy his Hunting License, and onto his first small game and varmints. I still don't think he'd be patient enough to try for deer yet. Unfortunately he's my son, so he's genetically pre-disposed to being impatient and results-driven! ;)

'Dog,

The J.A.K.E.S event that NWTF has in the summer here in North San Diego Co. is great for boys this age....They shoot shotguns, black powder, .22's, BB guns, Archery, throw tomahawks, and a turkey hunting seminar.

All is free for 105 kids, including t-shirts, certificate, lunch, & drinks. (adults $10.00)….….:blush:

ps....Quite a few scouts attend.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
In a PM, go ahead and slide me the specifics about that event. Best I can do is pass it along to the Scout Leaders, which I'm not.

I just make it a point to interject in those meetings from time to time with observational points I've learned from my solo outings since beginning hunting, whenever I feel the Scout Leaders are "missing a learning opportunity" to pass along to these kids and get them in the habit of how a person has to seriously think ahead when planning and executing their outdoors activities.

Sharing with them little tricks and tips of problematic issues that can arise when you're out there, and why those tricks and tips are necessary to remember.

An example would be like sharing with them my very methodical process for getting myself packed and ready for the outings over the two days before I plan to leave... so I'm doing it at a relaxed pace and therefore less likely to rush and forget something that will later prove painful to have forgotten to bring out there!

its Pretty sad that So many kids out there don’t get an opportunity to do activities like this. Nice job Larry.

One of my theories... is that all these city youth... they need to experience taking the life of a game animal (and fish) and going thru the process of gutting them and harvesting the meat... so that they will be forced to experience all the emotions it makes you feel the first time you ever have to go thru that experience.

And so they can see the bloody aftermath of what happens after you pull the trigger... or after you get that fish on board.

It is my belief that a kid who has experienced first-hand... the finality of death... at their own hand... is going to be MUCH less likely to have those wannabe gangster tendencies to escalate conflict directly to the type of cheesy, macho, hyper glamourized displays of gun violence they are constantly bombarded with in TV/Movies/Media. I believe it goes a long way to hammer on home the cause-and-affect aspects and heavy responsibilities that come along with weilding a firearm. For those children will actually KNOW what the aftermath looks like, and think about and remember the feelings that went thru their mind when they then had to process that harvest the first time. And thus be more reserved, and give pause when it comes to considering to escalate a conflict.

Just my $.02

One of my theories... is that all these city youth... they need to experience taking the life of a game animal (and fish) and going thru the process of gutting them and harvesting the meat... so that they will be forced to experience all the emotions it makes you feel the first time you ever have to go thru that experience.

And so they can see the bloody aftermath of what happens after you pull the trigger... or after you get that fish on board.

It is my belief that a kid who has experienced first-hand... the finality of death... at their own hand... is going to be MUCH less likely to have those wannabe gangster tendencies to escalate conflict directly to the type of cheesy, macho, hyper glamourized displays of gun violence they are constantly bombarded with in TV/Movies/Media. I believe it goes a long way to hammer on home the cause-and-affect aspects and heavy responsibilities that come along with weilding a firearm. For those children will actually KNOW what the aftermath looks like, and think about and remember the feelings that went thru their mind when they then had to process that harvest the first time. And thus be more reserved, and give pause when it comes to considering to escalate a conflict.

Just my $.02
Yes totally agree, well said.
So many young people take the wrong path.

Good job with the young boys. I've hit a strange wall with shooting and my daughter to the point I'm starting to get frustrated and angry. She will not shoot HER shotgun. She'll shoot the .22, the AR, and the old bolt action .410 was the first gun she shot at 7 but for some reason she has worked her way to being afraid to shoot the little mossberg bantham .410 that actually fits her. It has gotten to the point I'm actually pissed off and am tempted to yell at her for not just pulling the damn trigger. I'm not sure how to get her past this point I think the last couple tries have made things worse as my frustration is starting to show through. She is 10 by the way.

Be patient dad, some girls take a little longer. I had a hard time with my two. They were more into fishing. Boy and girl.
I started very young , with a BB gun.
Then a 22lr single shoot.
Shotguns are more noisy.
Tend to be more scary. Try not to rush it. Sometimes takes time.

Try to ask her why she likes shooting the others more. If you listen carefully when she answers, you'll find your answer in there somewhere.

A bolt .410 is going to transfer more energy to her shoulder then those other two, won't it? Also... that .410 is likely a bit longer than the other two?... so it probably feels unwieldy for her to lift up the front end compared to the other two. Just my $.02

I really dont like kids much....but strongwork.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu