Pendleton waterowl hunting

fishkwr

Jun 6, 2023
Hello,
I am from Michigan but stationed at pendleton. I am interested in trying waterfowl hunting while in the military. I have never really waterfowl hunted. Mainly hunted deer and turkeys back in MI. Any tips for hunting southern CA? I am currently trying to contact the pendleton game warden to find out what I need to do to hunt pendleton. Also I was told about San Sacinto and wister waterfowl areas. How is hunting there? And how would I apply to hunt there?
Thank you for the help

Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service...

Camp Pendleton does have a waterfowl program...I would continue to contact the game warden and try getting out to the Sportsman's Club...There are many this site that know program better than I.

San Jacinto and Wister Wildlife Areas are both great options for you...Lots of guys that are current or former military hunt these...There will be some work days at both...A great way to meet fellow waterfowlers is to attend those work parties...There is a draw system for most waterfowling refuges and wildlife areas, but it is NOT required to hunt them (sweat line or walk on) works too.

California Waterfowl Assoc. has a banquet in Vista in August (Santa Margarita chapter)...Watch SCH for the date...Many of us attend and it is geared for our military... CWA also offers hunts for former and current personal as well.

California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife also has a special week-end for military only at the end of the season.

If you have more questions or need gear....Just ask

Steve

ps...This pic is from Camp Pen in 2021...One of the kids I mentored had a great day there.

camp pendleton '21.JPG

Reactions: Duckfan and NBK
There is a game check/sportsman's club/ game warden station of some kind at the turn off to Lake O'niell at Santa margarita Rd and Vandergrift. I live in Fallbrook right next door and work to the south in Oceanside. I know some guys that have deer hunted there and done well too. Have fun.

Reactions: NBK
Thank you for the tips, just followed the santa margarita chapter on facebook. I contacted the base game warden, hunting on pendleton is suspended till further notice. They do not know if there will be hunting on base this year or not.
Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service...

Camp Pendleton does have a waterfowl program...I would continue to contact the game warden and try getting out to the Sportsman's Club...There are many this site that know program better than I.

San Jacinto and Wister Wildlife Areas are both great options for you...Lots of guys that are current or former military hunt these...There will be some work days at both...A great way to meet fellow waterfowlers is to attend those work parties...There is a draw system for most waterfowling refuges and wildlife areas, but it is NOT required to hunt them (sweat line or walk on) works too.

California Waterfowl Assoc. has a banquet in Vista in August (Santa Margarita chapter)...Watch SCH for the date...Many of us attend and it is geared for our military... CWA also offers hunts for former and current personal as well.

California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife also has a special week-end for military only at the end of the season.

If you have more questions or need gear....Just ask

Steve

ps...This pic is from Camp Pen in 2021...One of the kids I mentored had a great day there.

View attachment 58703

Thank you for the tips, just followed the santa margarita chapter on facebook. I contacted the base game warden, hunting on pendleton is suspended till further notice. They do not know if there will be hunting on base this year or not.

Interesting....Did he say why?

Nope, didn't say why. Just that hunting was closed until further notice and didn't know if it would be open by season this year.

Hmmmm....It could be the amount of fire danger....Rabbit season opens July 1st.... :blush:

These are old maps of CP hunting areas, but will give you an idea with what you have to hunt....;)

camp pendelton.jpgcamp pendelton 1.jpg

Last edited:
That's to bad I used to hunt CPen. the duck and deer hunting were very good on base. I liked the archery areas for deer. they had lots of areas for duck hunting around the base back then. As a matter of fact I helped build the archery range they used to have in the 22 area.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Well...it is CA. No reason necessary.. ambiguous at best... Designed to Hurt. Thank you for your service .

Reactions: sportyg
Those maps bring back some memories. Just another thing that changed due to 9/11. Civilian hunting got canned after that. Sucks to hear any hunting is on hold. Our servicemen & women deserve better.

First hunt there was in the Santa Margarita River mouth in a boat & trolling motor borrowed from Trig. My buddy Mark & I were the only one's hunting the base that day. Thought we found Heaven 15 minutes from home.

I hope they allow hunting for you fishkwr.

Reactions: Duckfan and sportyg
Those maps bring back some memories. Just another thing that changed due to 9/11. Civilian hunting got canned after that. Sucks to hear any hunting is on hold. Our servicemen & women deserve better.

First hunt there was in the Santa Margarita River mouth in a boat & trolling motor borrowed from Trig. My buddy Mark & I were the only one's hunting the base that day. Thought we found Heaven 15 minutes from home.

I hope they allow hunting for you fishkwr.

Matty,

I still have that boat...Had to be 25-30 years ago.......... :scream:

Same boat at Crowley (1982)

Crowley Lake 1982.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu