Pheasant anyone?

i Use the dog vest number 1 because where I usually hunt it’s pretty buggered up with sharp brush and old fencing and things. Number 2 it helps me see him and others see him. We do a lot of volunteer work with youth so I don’t need him getting shot. I’ve done work with military dogs and they are working when the vest is on and they are off duty when the vest is off so that’s how I’ve trained him. But I do not put it on him when’s it’s over 100 in the valley and we are dove hunting. Dove hunting for him is a vacation

I figured it would be something like that. I'm a houndsman but I have never hunted birds with dogs before. Thanks for the response.

Decided not to hunt the DFW Heritage fields when we found out that they only planted somewhere between 30-100 birds in fields 22 & 25 (they're connected). They said there was a die off of roosters a couple of weeks ago (in the IV).....It was also stated they don't have enough money to raise or buy more (where the f*ck does our upland game bird stamp money go?). I think it's time to start looking into getting a new bird provider.....There was a time, not that long ago, that every DFW Heritage Field got a 100 roosters.....Now we can't get a 100 in one field?

Anyway, we hunted some random fields where we had seen birds before....Only flushed 2 hens.....We did have a really good dove shoot though.....Big flocks of winter migrating birds.

Hunted deer on the way home and only saw one small forky....Full day of hunting for sure.....lol

ps.....Sorry for the rant, but it's very frustrating to me as much as we pay to hunt in California and what we get in return.

.View attachment 33633 View attachment 33634

Steve,

The last 2 years I took my grandson and participated in planting of the pheasants for the Heritage fields. Last year 200 birds were planted in 22 & 25. This year 110 birds were planted and based on where the were released I would say 25% did not stay on 22 &25 as they flew into Wilderness property.
I to would like to know where our F@cking money is going. I can remember when there were about 6 fields planted and now we get 1.
Don't look forward to the Thanksgiving hunt either as there will be less than a 100 birds that will be released. That is all that was left.
Just a different excuse every year

Steve,

The last 2 years I took my grandson and participated in planting of the pheasants for the Heritage fields. Last year 200 birds were planted in 22 & 25. This year 110 birds were planted and based on where the were released I would say 25% did not stay on 22 &25 as they flew into Wilderness property.
I to would like to know where our F@cking money is going. I can remember when there were about 6 fields planted and now we get 1.
Don't look forward to the Thanksgiving hunt either as there will be less than a 100 birds that will be released. That is all that was left.
Just a different excuse every year

On another note don't get me started on the condition of Wister Unit. All I can say is the opportunities in the valley are doomed

Last edited by a moderator:
I always suspected Siri was anti hunting/fishing. I once asked her for the nearest tackle shop and she tried to send me to a high school football game.

Put in the 3/4 Saturday again at work (to pay off the wife’s new truck buy June) and packed it up and hit the road by 2:30 with the wife and dog again to see if we can find our limits again tomorrow. Should be another beautiful day in the alfalfa

I’m getting pretty beat working 6days a week at 2 jobs. Have money to play but no time. If we don’t work extra have no money to play and too much time on my hands.

Put in the 3/4 Saturday again at work (to pay off the wife’s new truck buy June) and packed it up and hit the road by 2:30 with the wife and dog again to see if we can find our limits again tomorrow. Should be another beautiful day in the alfalfa

I’m getting pretty beat working 6days a week at 2 jobs. Have money to play but no time. If we don’t work extra have no money to play and too much time on my hands.
Right on, good luck down there. Hey, at least u got 1 of the 2 (money but no time). I've got neither lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu