Pond is frozen, need advice

Gallodeoro

Oct 11, 2013
My duck pond held a large amount of ducks last year ( about 50-75) and had been dry the majority of this year due to the drought. About 3 weeks ago I started getting water back into it but now with the cold weather it's frozen. Still getting more water into it buts it's frozen solid and I haven't seen any ducks in the area. Any advice on what to do to bring back the ducks ?

get a ice eater. they are expensive but they work pretty rad. About 800 bucks and you need house current to run the thing so if you don't have power close by you need a generator.

pain in the ass but i used to hunt a pond with one in utah and OMG did it work good.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mallard-View-Outdoors-Power-House-Ice-Eater-Stand-Combo/727779.uts?productVariantId=4018222&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=44-127728417-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04040896&rid=20

Thanks but I don't have power near the pond. I'll try salting it. The water level is pretty low, about 6-8 inches right now so I don't think a motor will work, and I'd have to be there all the time running the motor. After this weeks rain and the new water flow from the spring it should be getting better but I still haven't seen any ducks in the area. Any ideas on how to bring them back?

Don't go dumping salt in your pond. You can't make ducks come back. Let it flood and if they want back they will come.

Plus 1 on the NO salt in the pond......It could kill any natural pond weed or other foods it may produce.....Ponds freezing is part of nature and the reason they migrate......Find a new hunting spot for now.

I remember seeing an article about using plastic sheeting to simulate water. Was supposed to be for open fields but might work for a frozen pond. Don't know though. Just an idea to consider.

Some info...

http://ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/PrintTopic625003.aspx

Fish Dog it works used it all the time back east but you need a fly way to make it work and they get smart real quick

If you know where the other ponds are in the area go chase them over there then soon they may show at your pond.

MJB said:
Fish Dog it works used it all the time back east but you need a fly way to make it work and they get smart real quick

If you know where the other ponds are in the area go chase them over there then soon they may show at your pond.
Yup. You have to have birds in the area. Guys do it for honkers and mallards. They can stay around when it is cold. They generally just need open water near there. People use dye in fresh water poured on top as well.

To the OP, Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Went out today in the storm and the weather was a little warmer, plus the rain helped. Pond is unfrozen for now and I saw my first few mallards of the year come in and land in it. Also I think the decoys may have helped it from freezing now that is has some more depth to it. Bagged one hen and got my gsp puppy his first duck "retrieval". He actually took it about 50 yards away from me but he's still learning and it was his biggest bird yet. Overall great day and got my first duck of the year

What Area are you located in?

I have been hunting a spot and on the first trip the ice was along the edges , second trip the mud hole was completely frozen over . I put decoys on the land by the frozen pond . Did some calling , had some pin tails almost fly into the blind from behind me ( I didn't see what took place But I heard it ) I froze in the blind and they came bombing threw again and kept flying on as they did not see a place to land . I blew the duck call and they came around, like the CHP on a drunk driver. Not only that they were flying strait to my face . I iced one ;) Ok then I went out to try to break some ice, I broke open a section about 60 by 20 feet. Went back to the blind had a mallard fly in , then 3 teal landed in the open water. Nailed one, then 2 Wigeon came in, I got one . Its been 2 or 3 a trip. Open up the ice ,and it doesn't all that much , I open some up every AM and its about 1 inch or so with the , get the broken ice on top of old ice or slip it under and make a nice landing area .

Have you tried pouring salt in it? It will have to be much colder than 32° To make it freezes the way

Pouring salt in your pond is a good way to have a nice lifeless hole in the ground that nothing will ever come to again, but at least it's not frozen. If you want to go the dead lifeless pond route though, forget salt, use about 50 gallons of antifreeze. You'll still accomplish the dead lifeless part, but now your hole in the ground won't freeze until it gets much MUCH colder.

If you don't have power in the area, try placing a few light duck decoys out in it with long weight lines. If you get some wind, the motion of the decoys over the water might be just enough to keep some small areas of the pond from freezing over. Kind of a stretch, but might work if the temps are just below freezing.

When it locks up put a blue tarp on it to simulate water. I don't know where you are but if ducks and geese are in the area they are looking for open water to sit on. If you could get geese or even swans using it (sounds too shallow if it's 6-8") you would be golden as they could keep it open if they stay on it.

welcome to the site lewdog : )

Do not put salt in the water, you will hurt or kill the food in the pond.

If the pond is shallow where you can walk and the ice is not that thick, break it in big chunks' slide the chunks under the ice until you have a 30-50 ft opening. Put a few floaters in the water and stand up some FBs on the ice.

We use to do this at Kern when it froze up.

Oh, also don't be surprised if the birds don't show until mid morning

^^^good advice from Kid. If you can't break it with your feet use a small sledge or like hammer. Bring a young guy who's eager and explain to him the vital importance of a big open hole. You prob don't have to worry about sheets of ice taking your dekes and clumping em up but if it's below freezing you may need some periodic ice maintenance to keep the setup looking natural and ice free. Yes saying calgay is what got me a 30 day minimum timeout.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu