Potentially moving to California

teej89

Dec 9, 2015
Hey there!

So I have a question for you all... The fiancé and I were set on moving to Arizona in 2017 but we realized we were just compromising. I want great hunting and mountains, Idaho or Montana, and she wants California, within an hour of the beach. She loves the mountains but has always wanted to live near a beach.

We compromised that she'd be satisfied if we lived the rest of our 20s in California then move to Montana or Idaho to settle. Because she knows how much hunting means to me and loves the bond my dad and I have because of hunting and she wants that with our future kids.

Anywho... This'd be 4 years tops in California and is mostly be hunting out of state but for some weekend deer and maybe hopefully catching some waterfowl on the flyaway. But if it's anything like Ohio duck hunting where if you're not on private you may as well not hunt them I'll just stick to training the pup year round.

Where would you guys suggest, anywhere in the state as long as we're within an hour of the beach? I wouldn't mind driving over an hour to get to a trailhead to hunt deer.

Also I'm a structural engineer and she's a firefighter/EMT so our jobs require us to be near a larger town, well mine at least. However I'm looking to transfer into construction and work for a GC. And I already discussed with her were most likely going to take a huge hit financially living in CA, were not gonna be able to afford the nice home we have now.

Thanks guys!

A few questions might help narrow it down for us to give a better answer.
#1 - Housing budget? Buying or renting?
#2 - Do you intend to live in Southern California or Northern California. North is probably more and better hunting opportunities but south would probably be better for the beach as the water's not as cold.
#3 - Your political leaning? Not that I care but there are some areas of the state that are so ultra-liberal if you are somewhat conservative you wouldn't be happy there.
#4 - Where are you living now? Might be better if where you're going to move to is a similar sized city and such?

Good luck with the move wherever you end up.

Teejay,

Welcome to SCH......I'm partial to San Diego County......I've been in Montana for a month and I can tell you.....I have MORE hunting opportunities here than there......Just like anywhere, private is normally better......No different there.

Back to SD Co.......You're within 1 hour of the beach just about anywhere this side of Julian......San Diego is a hub for jobs too......I also have a number of friends that have been EMT's or are on fire departments now.

Housing isn't especially cheap, but nowhere in SoCal is it......I'd look at San Marcos, Vista, or Escondido......2 cents

ps.......I live in Esco.......;)

A few questions might help narrow it down for us to give a better answer.
#1 - Housing budget? Buying or renting?
#2 - Do you intend to live in Southern California or Northern California. North is probably more and better hunting opportunities but south would probably be better for the beach as the water's not as cold.
#3 - Your political leaning? Not that I care but there are some areas of the state that are so ultra-liberal if you are somewhat conservative you wouldn't be happy there.
#4 - Where are you living now? Might be better if where you're going to move to is a similar sized city and such?

Good luck with the move wherever you end up.

1) We'd like to buy but I feel we'll end up renting. Our budget sits right around $1500/mo

2) I would have to say the lower 3/4s of the stage, she wants warm water beech all year round. That may be the lower half tho, as long as I can chance deer and get my lab in some waterfowl I'll be happy.

3) I'd say I'm politically ignorant, I'm republican but I stay outta people's political views and way of life

4) Columbus Ohio and we hate it cuz there's nothing to do around here. We drive an hour to hike some crappy woods trails with 9 million other people.

Hope these help!

Last edited:
Teejay,

Welcome to SCH......I'm partial to San Diego County......I've been in Montana for a month and I can tell you.....I have MORE hunting opportunities here than there......Just like anywhere, private is normally better......No different there.

Back to SD Co.......You're within 1 hour of the beach just about anywhere this side of Julian......San Diego is a hub for jobs too......I also have a number of friends that have been EMT's or are on fire departments now.

Housing isn't especially cheap, but nowhere in SoCal is it......I'd look at San Marcos, Vista, or Escondido......2 cents

ps.......I live in Esco.......;)

It's nice to hear something positive about Southern California! I posted here a year ago and everyone was basically saying don't do it lol

So you'd say the hunting and fishing isn't too shabby? I was in San Diego once and loved it but didn't tho k I could ever live there cuz of the hunting. The thought of moving after 4 years to Idaho or Montana makes it easier, most likely Idaho.

So, I'm saying there's just as many hunting opportunities here as anywhere else after you get to know the area (you'll get plenty of help here on SCHtoo).....I was born & raised here, so it would be easier for me......Like I mentioned, I've been in Montana (& Canada) for a month......We would drive a minimum of a 150 miles a day to hunt mostly public land.....With the exception of my sharp-tail & ducks (wildlife area that was jammed), we hunted private property my cousin had got permission on.....Big game opps are greater there because of the amount of game......Elk, white-tail, muleys, pronghorn......But again, I've done good here because I have friends with private prop.

Politically, California sucks as bad as it can be, if you're a conservative......But, if you're only going to be here 4 years, it won't matter.

Another thing that San Diego offers is great fishing.....LM Bass & offshore especially.

ps......And the weather doesn't suck either......lol

But again, I've done good here because I have friends with private prop.

This is what scares me, that you're only going to have enjoyable hunts if you hunt private.

My dad and I have hunted public land in CO and WY and have a blast but back in Ohio if you hunt public, it's never really a good time unless you're on private land. Ohio deer hunting has become a rich mans game anymore due to lack of public land and over hunted and generous bag limits.

I'd recommend taking a trip to the San Diego area to see how you and your wife like it. Not sure what your wife envisions as "a beach" but SoCal has brown sand, cloudy cold water (most still wear wetsuits even in summer), but does have kelp forest off shore so big win for snorkeling/spearfishing. This is in stark contrast to the gulf coast of Florida where I grew up: pearl white sand, emerald green crystal clear water, bathtub temp, etc. That being said you won't find any mountains in Florida haha, and the weather in SoCal cannot be beat. You'll pay for that though -- the cost of housing is a huge eye opener. My wife and I have been looking at places, and housing in areas we would start considering start around $500k and 1500 sq ft places we would like to live in within a mile of the ocean are double that. Crazy prices, for now we rent.

I live in central california and the hunting is alot better here than southern California. The more north you go the better hunting opportunities you have and the more water there is. South is like a desert north has nice forrests. Nor cal is the way to go. Still expensive

welcome to the SCH

be ready for cost of living shock, only us old timers have a easier time of it. My best friends moved out of calif, only because of the cost of living. if you can deal with that, then the opportunities are limit less. fishing in the San Diego Pacific ocean is world renown, the hunting in Imperial Valley and the local mountains is great. but it is a different kind of hunt. & it is, and can be tougher. that is why the # of Big Game kills success is lower. The mountains are thick with chaparral and the mountains are steep and tough. not flat like some of the mid west areas. It is well know that the X zones have the biggest deer in California. But if you read the post here you will see Southern California has Big deer to, and the hunters (Brothers) are very very well verse and experienced, I would stick my you know what to say that. These are some of best and experienced hunters of any where. Because of their success rate. and their experience. due to the different style of hunting and the toughness, Me being an old Timer have learned a lot from my younger compadres, in addition here at SCH, I try to help those that have less experience.

Best
AKA Ghost

Having a enjoyable hunt is a relative term.....And I was referring to Montana.....Yes, there's lots of state sponsored hunting properties in Montana, but they are spread out and they get hammered, just like any other public land near cities (Great Falls in this case).

I was mostly bird hunting, which is not nearly as popular as big game up there.....I can tell you where I saw most the deer & pronghorn was private.....Same with pheasant & honkers.....The one good thing I found is getting permission on private seems pretty easy.....Although, lots of folks are starting to lease land for hunting by outfitters.

California has a lot to offer, including pretty good hunting & fishing.

Best off shore fishing in the world, great weather and happy cows. Hunting is marginal compared to other parts of the West. Don't do it!

Last edited:
To address something that you didn't really ask about.....Not sure if your girlfriend is aware or not but the majority of the CA fire service is paramedic based and is extremely competitive. There are emt jobs jobs to be found but they are comparatively few and far between and the pay difference is significant. Many people find that it's very difficult to get a foot in the door with the fire service in CA. Just food for thought if she hadn't already considered that.

Best off shore fishing in the world,...
I normally agree with NBKs posts but "in the world"?!? Florida waters is where its at.
But since the topic is California, I will agree, San Diego "best fishing"! add to that "best weather".

I would move to your mountain location out of state and vacation to the beach for the wife.

Bro 1500 ain't sh$t.... your gunna end up in some crap hole.

Temecula area is the only affordable area
In so cal

Reactions: Angelsbass
I normally agree with NBKs posts but "in the world"?!? Florida waters is where its at.
But since the topic is California, I will agree, San Diego "best fishing"! add to that "best weather".

Don't want to jack the thread or get off topic but San Diego is the home to the largest sport fishing fleet in the world. "Best" certainly is an opinion, but you would be hard pressed to find fishing as good as we have had it over the past 50 years.

Not having fished Florida, I don't have personal experience to base my comment. So no argument...

Florida has different fish and different fishing Flats, tarpon, snook, reds, bones ect.....SD has pelagic for the most part.

I do miss bone fishing the flats.....we have them here but not like Florida & I don't miss the bull sharks

As for hunting I like the spot & stalk rather than sitting in a tree stand. Ducks is better back east but it's all about Private land. Upland here hands down and Baja is even better!

I was born here and lived back east for 14 years when I was a teenager then moved back here.

YMMV

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu