Predator contest

Also if I am entering any contest even if it is a family game of monopoly I have one thing in mind winning. Big difference between a contest and morning out in the field. If hunting a predator contest wining for me would be much more rewarding than the prize money. Call me competitive but I don't know many men who wouldn't be amped to show off a Trophy for winning one of those things. My point was hunters are not only hunting contests for the money just like fisherman don't only fish for the money. The contest adds a whole nother level to the excitement of the day and taking away the prize money will not curb the intense drive men have to win.
Basically my point is if predator contest are still allowed but no prizes will be rewarded i almost guarantee the same amount of hunters will be at each one. Not for the money but for the fun of getting out there and competing at something they love.

I am all for hunting, killing, sport and compitition...BUT, if quanity of kills is the only measurement of success, then quality of kills could suffer. I'm not sure how to work this into the scoring but let's maintain clean, quick kills out of respect for our prey. Hey maybe only a 'one shot one kill' gets a score.
If we don't police ourselves, others WILL!
Game on!

rbduffer said:
I am all for hunting, killing, sport and compitition...BUT, if quanity of kills is the only measurement of success, then quality of kills could suffer. I'm not sure how to work this into the scoring but let's maintain clean, quick kills out of respect for our prey. Hey maybe only a 'one shot one kill' gets a score.
Game on!

I see where you're coming from and do police myself as in I don't post everything but sorry for the shout out Steeletown people like that work so hard for kill and I don't even remember if yours is a good shot or not but I would never not post that one
So I have to disagree

rbduffer said:
Game on!

I've killed probably over 100 coyotes in the last 6-7 years and I will admit more then a few have had more then one shot in them. Am I proud to say it? No. But did it happen? Yes.

I, along with most other hunters, try to maintain clean, quick, and as ethically as possible kills. But let's face it, bad shots do happen. They just do. I respect animals just as much as the next guy, wether game or non-game.

If you've never made a bad shot on an animal then you deserve a pat on the back

If you've never made a bad shot on an animal, you're not human. I am not knocking anyone here. My only concern is that if quanity is the ONLY measure of a CONTEST, then quality could suffer if we lose our focus. My 2 cents.

The notion that contests lead to irresponsible shooting is nothing but FUD. The ANTI granola chewers spew this junk because they are not hunters and in their pea sized brain it makes sense. It ranks up there with the idea that most hunters only shoot big game for the trophy and do not eat what they harvest.

So where is this hunter that shoots 1k yards at coyotes so he can win a contest? or where is the hunter that shoots at a running coyote in a 20mph cross wind with a 22lr. Its just not reality and its just not what any of us do.

I have more faith in you guys is what i am trying to say.

Aeon said:
The notion that contests lead to irresponsible shooting is nothing bug FUD. The ANTI granola chewers spew this junk because they are not hunters and in their pea sized brain it makes sense. It ranks up there with the idea that most hunters only shoot big game for the trophy and do not eat what they harvest.

So where is this hunter that shoots 1k yards at coyotes so he can win a contest? or where is the hunter that shoots at a running coyote in a 20mph cross wind with a 22lr. Its just not reality and its just not what any of us do.

I have more faith in you guys is what i am trying to say.

literally laughing out loud. Great post!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu