PREDATORS AT NIGHT

steveo007

Been striking out trying to get a yote, bobcat , fox anything during early morning and late late evening with no luck lots of fresh poo and tracks I think am a gunna try a little night hunt
any recommendations on lights and does the green or red lense give an advantage?????

I've called yotes and fox in using red. Only two things I ever called in using white was a bobcat and a coyote. I forget what the brand of my light it is..

Does anyone know if there is a map that shows the night hunting zones? I have never hunted coyotes at night but think I may want to try.

BuckHunter said:
Does anyone know if there is a map that shows the night hunting zones? I have never hunted coyotes at night but think I may want to try.

I don't believe there's a map, but on the DFG website they have the boundaries

BuckHunter said:

Hi, ive been lurking for a few months, cool site

Anyways, heres a map from a couple years back for san bernardino county shooting areas.
http://www.specialdistricts.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=306

I dont have a link handy but i have seen a similar map for LA county.

The dfg regs afaik basically say what animals you are allowed to night hunt for, and that they can only be hunted where its legal to shoot at night. But not any specific areas besides some exclusions

somewhere on the DFG web site it does have very very clear as mud boundries written out.

Its kinda like when my mom would give directions....take a left at the 1st big tree.. yea the green one, then drive for a few min and go right at the other green tree near the bush......

but they are there and if you site down with a map and a marker you can trace the night hunting zone.

Not to change subject but curious now that we are on the subject . What brand lights are you guys using for some night calling?

474. Hours for Taking.

Nongame mammals may be taken at any time except as provided in this section.

(a) Area Closed to Night Hunting. Nongame mammals may be taken only between one-half hour before sunrise and one-half hour after sunset in the following described area: Beginning at a point where Little Panoche Road crosses Interstate 5 near Mendota; south on Interstate 5 to Highway 198; east on Highway 198 to Highway 99; south on Highway 99 to Interstate 5; south on Interstate 5 to the Los Padres National Forest boundary in Section 8, T 9 N, R 19 W, S.B.B.M near Fort Tejon Historical Monument; west along the National Forest boundary to Cerro Noroeste Road; northwest on Cerro Noroeste Road to Highway 33-166; north on Highway 33-166 to the Soda Lake Road; northwest on the Soda Lake Road and on the Simmler Soda Lake San Diego Creek Road to Highway 58 at Simmler; west on Highway 58 to the Cammotti Shandon Road; north on the Cammotti Shandon Road to the Shandon San Juan Road; north on the Shandon San Juan Road to Highway 41; northeast on Highway 41 to the Cholame Valley Road; northwest on Cholame Valley Road and Cholame Road to the Parkfield Coalinga Road in Parkfield; north on Parkfield Coalinga Road and Parkfield Grade to Highway 198; northwest on Highway 198 to the Fresno-Monterey county line; north along the Fresno-Monterey county and Fresno-San Benito county lines to the Little Panoche Road; north and east on the Little Panoche Road to the point of beginning at Interstate 5.

quote author=BuckHunter link=topic=6919.msg52790#msg52790 date=1418487400]
[/quote]

Make sure you have a good back rest tree or big rocks. Having lion issues isn't fun. It seems to be harder then day hunting. Also they always come in the opposite way the call is pointing behind you

I have a Wicked Hunting Light W402ZF in red. It is crazy bright. I've spotted eyes out to 400 yards easy.

http://shop.boondock-outdoors.com/WickedLights-W402ZF-Rifleman-Kit-single-color-of-choice-W402ZF-Rifleman.htm

Just remember, check out your county regs for night hunting and using lights before you just go out. I've said it before... no night hunting in Riverside County.

GENERAL INFO FOR LED COLORS:
•White LED - Ideal for law enforcement, general predator hunting, alligator, raccoon, other varmints, filming at night, general usage, when extra long-range light is required
•Green LED - Ideal for hogs, general predator hunting (coyote, fox, bobcat)
•Red LED - Ideal for light shy predators (coyote, fox, bobcat)

White shines the furthest, green in 2nd, and red in 3rd.

steveo007 said:
great info 8steeltown im checking out that light right now! :D

I've looked into all the different predator lights. This one is LEGIT! Check out how they talk smack about their competitors and why theirs is better. Most of these companies use the same light and just etch their name into it. This Wicked Lights W402ZF is different and well worth the purchase!

Back