Preffered caliber for SanDiego Deer?

Valvadeer

Hello all! Im starting to hunt here in SanDiego and am currently using a bolt action .243 Remington rifle. Do you think this caliber is to small? Would like to know your recommendations.

Last edited:
V-deer,

Welcome to SCH......The .243 is more than capable to kill deer with a well placed shot.

My daughter shoots a Savage .243 and so far has dropped her bucks within 40 yds of the shot.

Sweet caliber IMO

.011.JPG

It's more about knowing your dope & being one with the rifle.....some shots are really close others out to 400+

Welcome!

its a great round for so cal deer. Its a great round for deer period! low recoil, great ballistics on 6mm projectiles.

i bet most of you could improve your shooting a lot shooting the 243. if you get bored sometime run the numbers on some of the slippery 6mm bullets and see how they catch up in fps and energy to other bigger bullets down range.

It's more about knowing your dope & being one with the rifle.....some shots are really close others out to 400+

Welcome!
I agree .243 will work just fine. A lot of us on this site have caught the dreaded multiple gun, optic, and fishing rig disease. Beware you have been warned.

I really think the on;y caliber people will question is .223 and smaller. But with today's bullets even a 223 will knock them down. 85g TTSX in a 243 is lethal.

Oh man. I didn't get a chance to reply fast enough...
The .243 is a horrible round. Don't use it for anything, especially not deer. Put that thing up for sale as soon as possible and sell it to the highest bidder. Now that I think about it, that caliber won't even get any bids so you should just give it away. PM me and I can help by taking it off your hands.

[all in sarcasm]
Dan
(Big fan of the .243 -it's not your grandson's, girlfriend's, guest gun anymore)

Proud owner and deer hunter with a Savage Axis .243 (Leupold VX1 scope) that can hunt everything from predators (coyotes) to pigs (if there were any) to deer (got one in 2015 on one shot).

Last edited:
Back