Prosciutto, California style

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Last November on a hunt with GSGS, I killed a pig that had lived his entire life in an orange grove. Neil took me there as a treat, because he knows I have dry-cured hams from pigs I’ve shot with him. We agreed it would be worth a try. After all, world-class prosciutto gets its flavor from the pigs’ diet: whey from Parmesan cheese in the case of Parma hams, peanuts in the case of Serrano hams from Spain, and so on. So why not give “California Ham” a try?

It takes a long time to dry cure a ham, but the process is pretty simple. First, it’s best to freeze the hams. The length of time it takes to kill all larvae of the Trichomonas parasite varies, but if you have a chest freezer that gets to 10-20 deg below 0 Farenheit, 3 months is more than enough. I tend to leave mine longer than that, then do the curing when I get the time. After the salting, you then hang it for 9-12 months. So all the flavor you’ll get from the ham is natural flavor from the pig itself. That’s why what they eat is important.

I took this pig with Neil last November, and it’s been in the freezer since then. I’m clearing my freezer for the fall hunts so I’ve been meaning to get started on the curing, and I thought some of you might be interested in the process.

I took the two hindquarters and cut off the shanks. That leaves two one-pound shanks for braising, and two 5+ lb hams to cure. I didn’t bother to cut off the shanks with the first prosciutto I made, which was a mistake because it’s hard to cut cured meat off the bone of the knee (stifle) joint. I concluded it’s better to use the shank on its own.

After rinsing and patting dry, you just rub kosher salt into the surfaces and put a weight on top. The salt draws out the moisture, and the extra weight helps by pressing the excess out of the meat.

You can stack them like I do in these pics. They go into the fridge like this, and will stay there about one day for each pound. I check them every day to pour off the fluid that accumulates in the bottom so the hams don’t sit in brine.

I’ll post up more pics when the salting is done and I hang them to age.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    937.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    926.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    936.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    958.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 25
i cant wait to see how this turns out!!!!!

ilovesprig said:
Bonejour said:
ilovesprig said:
I love ham........................... ;D
Well Steve, we'll have to make sure you're on the list for tasting!

Don,

I'll be your Huckleberry............ :D

.https://youtu.be/jkm1i2o6Ri8
Great term... I had to look it up. No telling what a guy will learn hanging around here!
Lol

Yes Don, there's a plethora of great terms around here........... :D

. https://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik

These have been salted till the meat became firm. Then you rinse off the salt, pat them dry and smear them with lard to prevent too much more drying, cover with ground pepper to keep the bugs away, and finally, wrap with cheese cloth and kitchen string. Then they are ready to store. I could hang these now, but I have room in the garage fridge and with the warm weather, I'll wait till fall to hang them in the open in the garage. The pics show one already in cheese cloth, while the other ham gets larded, peppered and wrapped.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367050.244396.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367050.244396.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 20
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367067.985075.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367067.985075.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367087.410040.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367087.410040.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367098.531389.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440367098.531389.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for sharing Don. I am going to try this on the next hog I bring home...

I enjoyed reading about your prosciutto prep. Looks very interesting.
BTW, Val Kilmer was great as Doc Holliday in that movie, Tombstone. Good flick if you haven't seen it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu