Proving non-lead Ammunition

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
Likely overthinking my first time try at hunting this weekend..

I picked up a box of non-lead super eco prius rounds for my rifle and noticed that it doesn't seem to have any significant differences from your standard lead ammunition.

If a warden approaches me, how can I show proof that the ammunition I'm using is legal?

Macsteve said:

I picked up a box of non-lead super eco prius rounds for my rifle and noticed that it doesn't seem to have any significant differences from your standard lead ammunition.

If a warden approaches me, how can I show proof that the ammunition I'm using is legal?

He'll have a magnet.....Again, if you're not on a wildlife area or preserve, you can still shoot lead in rifles.

ilovesprig said:
Macsteve said:

He'll have a magnet.....Again, if you're not on a wildlife area or preserve, you can still shoot lead in rifles.
son of a B.

I just used the CDFW lands viewer and identified my area as non-qualified. I guess there is a price to pay for ignorance.

This forum and others are great places to get answers to many of the confusing questions WE all have about this BS. As hunters and shooters, we'll deal with it.....If they think I'm going to quit, they're sadly mistaken!

ps......Green ammo is more costly, but you'll have to buy it eventually anyway......I just bought some green .17 HMR.....Seems to be just as good & was only about 2 dollars more per box of 50.

paid about $15.50 a box for 120rds of 243Win shipped to my door.

paid $48.90 for a box of 20rds of 243Win Prius Edition from the local store

Macsteve said:

Steve,

Well, look at it this way......Put it on the paper with lead and only shoot 1 or 2 expensive shells to zero.....20 cartridges should last you about 10 years at one deer per year.....lol

Check out gunbot.net for buying ammunition. You can sort it by caliber, price, brand, etc. Personally, I took a trip to fine firearms, got some goodies, and began reloading my own ammo in preparation for the many new regulations that will be taking effect.

ilovesprig said:
Macsteve said:

Steve,

Well, look at it this way......Put it on the paper with lead and only shoot 1 or 2 expensive shells to zero.....20 cartridges should last you about 10 years at one deer per year.....lol

haha right? maybe w/ a seasoned Pro like yourself. 30 years for me because I can't shoot what I can't find ;)

Mountain_made said:
Check out gunbot.net for buying ammunition. You can sort it by caliber, price, brand, etc. Personally, I took a trip to fine firearms, got some goodies, and began reloading my own ammo in preparation for the many new regulations that will be taking effect.

Will do! I don't think I'm willing to invest in reloading though. pretty new at just about everything

Macsteve said:
Mountain_made said:

Will do! I don't think I'm willing to invest in reloading though. pretty new at just about everything
I wish you the best of luck and you're in the right place for answers to your questions.

ilovesprig said:
Macsteve said:

Huh? Lead is non-magnetic. So is copper. Maybe you're thinking about steel shot?

ilovesprig said:

Steve, don't you have to use unleaded in the "condor zone" which is a lot of A zone?

fish dog said:
ilovesprig said:

Steve, don't you have to use unleaded in the "condor zone" which is a lot of A zone?

Eric,

Yes, you do......I assumed he was talking about hunting in San Diego Co., when he mentioned McCain Valley in another thread.

just picked up some copper 30-06 pills last weekend, I think they cost $10 buck more than lead.

ivhunter said:
just picked up some copper 30-06 pills last weekend, I think they cost $10 buck more than lead.

In the big scheme of things, small price to pay.....It's the BS science & anti hunters pushing this green agenda that drives me crazy.....angry.gif

[/quote]

Non-lead and lead don't zero the same in my 7 mag. Not sure about his .243. I would find out beforehand.

Muledeerhunter said:

Non-lead and lead don't zero the same in my 7 mag. Not sure about his .243. I would find out beforehand.
[/quote]

was it significantly off? currently I'm zero'd for non prius bullets so I'm good atleast for this weekend

Muledeerhunter said:

[/quote]

OK.......5 years........lol

Same question as Matt asked: how would a magnet differentiate lead from copper. More to the point, since lead isn't magnetic and the question the ranger ought to be asking is whether you have any lead ammo, what use would a magnet be to the warden?

I shoot a model 70 30-06. Did some non lead vs lead last year sighting in and for me it is about a 5" difference on paper usually high and too the right 100yds. I tried hornedy and nosler green tip.

Just sharing experience. For dove #7 steel shot I cut my lead in half.

Sig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu