Public Land Jakes

Josh S.

Jul 22, 2016
I have located 5 jakes that are grouped up and they would not come into my decoys. I'm originally from Minnesota and if a group of eastern jakes saw 2 hen decoys they would have definitely came in to check them out. I'm walking back over a mile and have not seen anyone there. I'm not wanting to shoot a Jake but I am curious why they wanted nothing to do with my decoys, skirted @ 40 yds.

What is everyone's thoughts?

P.S. They are not responding to any locator or turkey calls.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BangBangBrandon
I am no expert but I have called in a few. I would say just cluck every 15-20 minutes and use no decoys or locators if you know where thy are.
Those birds have been seeing decoys and hearing locators for the past three weeks. The decoys are probably what is making them flair. @ilovesprig will have way better advice than me I just know later in the late season no decoys can sometimes be better.

I am no expert but I have called in a few. I would say just cluck every 15-20 minutes and use no decoys or locators if you know where thy are.
Those birds have been seeing decoys and hearing locators for the past three weeks. The decoys are probably what is making them flair. @ilovesprig will have way better advice than me I just know later in the late season no decoys can sometimes be better.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking, leaving the decoys at home. Never hunted birds like these before

Josh,

Welcome to SCH....I ditched the decoys soon after the adult opener....In fact, the only gobbler that I had totally commit to decoys was the one my youth hunter got in a preserve.

Even a mob of jakes may feel that hens should come to them (especially if they've been pressured)....My best turkey hunting friends have had the same experience lately....I suggest you hunt with a friend that calls behind you....If that's not possible....Try to call sparely and get into a position where they have to find you....When they get to where they think the hen is.....They're in range.

Hunting non gobbling or birds that won't commit is difficult anytime....Blind up the very best you can, call hard every 15-20 minutes, till you get a hit....Then soften it up or nothing at all....They know where you are.

Good luck

ps....After almost 2 1/2 hours of nothing and mostly just sleeping this morning....I was awakened by a distant gobble....Called to them, but they were hung up....So we cut the distance and after a couple of soft clucks, the longs moved forward....No decoys, but looking for her the whole time they walked in....At about 35 yds....They took their last step.....;)

.417.jpeg

Thanks for the advice sir, i appreciate it.

Hunting non gobbling or birds that won't commit is difficult anytime....

X5 on this. I missed my opportunity this morning on a longbeard right off the roost. After about 10 minutes in the AM I did not hear another gobble all day.

They are still henned up where I was as it is pretty early in the mating season. With the warm weather this week i may have to take Friday off work.

I was hunting a flock about about 12 birds this morning, 2 of those Jake's and 1 longbeard. I shifted to another area and 28 birds in that flock with lots of long beards.

Best part... Warden thinks I am the only guy hunting these birds....

..... this is public land....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Damn that sucks. Sounds like you're going to give them a good run. I still have to find my strutter, not going to take down any of those Jakes, have the future to think about ya know. Strutters are hard to come by in my area. Good luck brother

Nick,

Speaking of strutters.....If you own one, it might be time to bring out that B-Mobile.....A dominant tom may not want the competition in his zone.....Always worth a try on those field toms.

Steve,

What do you think of the funky chicken decoy? A friend said the toms go crazy after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick,

Speaking of strutters.....If you own one, it might be time to bring out that B-Mobile.....A dominant tom may not want the competition in his zone.....Always worth a try on those field toms.
Steve,

I don't own one. I run the Avian X Jake and hen combo.

I'll see if that gets them on my next go, after that I may look into other tactics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu