QUESTION - Which Knife do you carry to back up your Scalpel-blade knife?

I have a Havalon, but I use a Benchmade Steep Country for the tough stuff.

I also always, ALWAYS, have my Emerson CQC7-B on me. That knife will outlast me for sure.

Back to the thread topic....For years I carried a fixed blade Buck....Then to the Buck 110 folding....Nowadays it's the Havalon with a ORANGE Buck clip on the pocket.

.View attachment 39896

There ya go! I always say an overly clean workspace is a sign of a sick, sick mind! (Except for when welding or painting)

RE: "Emerson CQC7-B " - Cool Tanto blade Man.
Thanks. Got it either 10 or 15 years ago as an anniversary present. (Obviously, I told her exactly what I wanted.) It's been with me since. I feel naked when I have to fly and can't have it with me.

If your break blades on the havalon your doing it wrong.....learn the animals anatomy and don't pry......cut near the bone.

Reactions: TRICER
Huh? I've never broken a blade on a Havalon, where did you read that?

TRUE STORY: One thing I did have occur which I still can't figure out though... it was on the 2nd deer... don't remember which tendon it was but at some point my knifes blade had gotten stuck/caught in the area I was working in... and when I went to pull the knife back out of that area... the blade had popped off the knife... and somehow... and I still can't figure out how this happened... but... this remaining piece of STILL-CONNECTED Tendon... somehow magically was going thru the install slot on the blade!!!! And the tendon WAS NOT cut!!!?? Still connected... at both ends!!?

I musta sat there for 3 minutes trying to figure and envision how in the hell that was even possible for it to happen. I mean... it happened... it was right there in front of me... and I figure it was like some kinda flukey thing where a looping of the tendon must have somehow done something only magicians know how to do with ropes and practice. But.. it was hot, so I had to just go "Wow, What the??? How could it have??? Whoa... Meh... oh well." and take out another blade and keep going.

RE: don't pry... I watched countless example videos about how you're supposed to cut at the Atlas bone. But the blade was having a darn hard time getting down into and between the side notches on the vertebrae. I supposed It's possible I actually was getting into the right area?, and just didn't realize that you'll still have to use a bit of force and rotate the cranium quite a bit until it finally rips that joint maybe? Hopefully I can try again this year!

If you happen to come across a vid where someone is doing it with a Havalon and it's easy to see how they're doing it, by all means slide it my way. I'm sure there's just some minor trick to doing it I've not keyed in on yet is all.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu