Quick Limit

8SteelTown

Went out for a solo dove hunt Sunday morning since someone un-named bailed ;). Showed up to a location to see about 40% of the trees and coverage had been removed from the area. I took a couple broken branches and set them in front of a tree and was all camo'd up. I sat and waited for the dove to fly by. First 10 minutes it was 1 here, 1 there. Then it went crazy. 1 would tree up. I'd flush and shoot and go to retrieve it and 1 would land in the tree 10 feet away from me. Turned around and there were 3 trees with 5-6 in each one and they kept circling and landing right in front of me. I limited out in less than 30 minutes. Great local hunt. Kind of a bummer to have it end so quick. I was back at the house by 8:00 a.m.!

EEC6D74A-AA9B-45A2-8742-9ECBA08B1AC2.png

Thanks fellas...

Bonejour said:
That's the way to do it! Get back before the wife even knows you were gone! Haha

I did too. Decided I was going to go back out for quail and Satan reared her head and threw an 11 month old demon child at me. JK, he's not that bad. ;D

Haha. Do you use different shot or choke for quail and dove? I've never hunted either, but now that I have my 12ga beretta, I'm reading these posts with more attention.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Haha. Do you use different shot or choke for quail and dove? I've never hunted either, but now that I have my 12ga beretta, I'm reading these posts with more attention.

Sent via Tapatalk

Depends how the birds are acting. Over the last few years, I could use bird loads (#8's or 7.5's) and a mod choke for both and would be highly successful. This year, the quail has been very sparse and both the quail and dove have been flushing at 60 yards plus (too far or way too high for my setup). In the first dove season this year and the start of quail, I was using #5's and #6's with marginal success. Within the last few weeks, the dove have been flying at lower altitudes and reachable with standard bird loads. The quail have still been a pain for me this year. Last year at this time, I had a freezer FULL of quail... I ate the only quail I got last week. I'd suggest 7#'s w/ high base if you're unable to reach them at 40 yards or so. Anything bigger and you're probably going to be tearing massive holes in them. IMHO.

Dude I missed a great hunt !

I hate being on call for work! Dam midnight calls suck !

Pretty sure if I was there I'd have been limited out with 10 shells :-*

Hahaha

stikbrandon said:

Hahaha

Awfully presumptuous my friend!! No, you would've for sure... It was like they heard a shot go off and wanted to get closer to see where the shot was coming from. It was crazy.

8SteelTown said:
stikbrandon said:

Hahaha
now that's funny stikbrandon. You had shells ankle deep on Thursday evening and only two birds. :eek:
Ha ha
Awfully presumptuous my friend!! No, you would've for sure... It was like they heard a shot go off and wanted to get closer to see where the shot was coming from. It was crazy.

Worked at home this morning from 2-5:30. Figured instead of going back to bed, I'd go try for some birds. 2 hours to limit this time. Nearly exploded one in the air. Beats going back to bed any time. 27° and a fully frosted field at shoot time. Fun morning.

BBC34D65-33C9-44B0-BE50-A1ED4A75C3C0.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu