Raahagues Duck Club

Stump7100

Oct 21, 2015
Has anyone hunted Raahagues Duck Club? I'm thinking of trying out an afternoon shoot. It's appealing since it's very close to home. Let me know your experience if you have tried a hunt there.

Stump

I shoot raahagues pheasant club for fun and preseason dog training and at the end of the season as late as possible to keep the dog scrubbed up Its a great place with some good guys. As for the duck.... I've seen the ponds but never hunted the duck. But since it's close and only 100 bucks for they day and they take care of the decoys it should be worth a trip. If you go post how it went

I've been thinking about giving it a try too if I get blocked out of SJ due to the sweatline gods cruelty, since its on the way home. I'd like to hear how it goes too if someone tries it.

Here's an old article about the club......Mike has since passed away, but I think his son is running the operation.....If we get the kind of rain they're predicting, it could be good.....Think flooded timber..... ;)

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjABahUKEwi5hbHmzvnIAhUF2R4KHQ6hCBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wonews.com%2FBlog.aspx%3Fid%3D1190&usg=AFQjCNG-uo_iQXFwwmnhfR190m-VqirCJQ&sig2=UHLlqWE67k1QLqE0fzvBTA

ilovesprig said:
Here's an old article about the club......Mike has since passed away, but I think his son is running the operation.....If we get the kind of rain they're predicting, it could be good.....Think flooded timber..... ;)

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjABahUKEwi5hbHmzvnIAhUF2R4KHQ6hCBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wonews.com%2FBlog.aspx%3Fid%3D1190&usg=AFQjCNG-uo_iQXFwwmnhfR190m-VqirCJQ&sig2=UHLlqWE67k1QLqE0fzvBTA

Is this the same son with the checkered past?

fish dog said:
Stump7100 said:
Going tomorrow, veterans day what better way to spend it.

Do any good?

OK Fish Dog this is for you....... So there I was, wind blowing from the east through what little hair I have left, it was a day like any other thick with the smell of cordite in the air......... Ok just kidding I'll spare you the vivid literary masterpiece version. I will preface this by saying I am no master waterfowler like Sprig and others here. I mostly hunt upland birds, predators, and some big game. I went to Raahagues duck club Wednesday to do an afternoon hunt since it is a very short drive from where I live and I really wanted to check it out. The afternoon hunt price is $50.00 and starts at 1330 hours and ends at 1653 hours. You are supplied a blind and decoys are already placed in the ponds. I got blind 21 and there were other hunters placed all around the pond. It was a very still day not much wind and it was warm. Kevin told me going out it was a slow day, so I was prepared. On my way out to my blind I met several of the other hunter all of whom seemed like great dudes. They seem to be regulars to the location and one told me on Saturday he limited in the morning no problem and the whole day was a great shoot.

My blind was on the top edge of the dike and was constructed of plywood. There was adequate foliage put around it however it could have benefited from a little more. The other three hunters got blinds in the tree lines and one used a mud chair and sat in the middle of an adjacent pond. The first hour and a half was very slow but it was beautiful out so it was ok. It was all I could do not to just start shooting coots. They were everywhere. About 1530 to 1600 the birds started to fly over high. The guys on my pond were calling I stayed quiet I didn't want too much calling. The birds circled then flew off only to settle on a farther pond where I heard multiple shoots fired. Suddenly from the direction the shots came from a lone surviving duck came rocketing toward me about 25 feet off the deck like a rocket flying as fast as it could. It was coming at the back of my right shoulder as I was seated in my very comfortable folding hunting chair. My cat like reflexes kicked in, I very awkwardly contourted in my chair, fired once as he passed and twice out of anger once I missed the first shot. No hits all three shots were behind. I pouted for a bit after that since standing would have gotten me the bird.

About 15 minutes after my first shots about 10 mallards came into my pond on the opposite side and were immediately lit up by my pond mates. They circled just out of my range but others around the pond got a few cracks at them. There were other small groups of ducks flying high over the area but never settled into range. There were shots going off farther in the marsh and every once in awhile in my vicinity, so someone was having luck. Then 30 min before shoot time was over the game warden drove up and checked me. As I handed her my shotgun unloaded and my license three mallards rocketed over the trees directly over my blind within easy range. I could have cried :-[. She checked me out asked to search my hunting pack and then left. I was just so bummed out she blew that opportunity for me, but oh well. One minute before end of shoot time a group of three teals flew into my area on the ragged edge of my effective range. I shot at one and it changed direction out of range. So I ended the day duckless.

I met up with my pond mates and the total was, one shooter with two teal, one with a teal and a mallard one with zero and an all day hunter with a limit and me with zero. All in all I don't think it compares to Wister however I had a good time. Any time I'm outside with a gun is a good time. Just love being out no matter what the outcome is. I see Raahagues has potential if you hit it on the right day and it is close for me so that is a plus. Everyone I talked to was cool and I enjoyed it even without scoring a duck. I will be driving out to the IV next Wednesday for some dove hunting and maybe some duck at Wister if I dove limit in the morning.

Stump

Stump7100 said:
ilovesprig said:
Stump,

Great report......Thanks for sharing.

Wish I would of got something.

Stump,

We always do.....It's been tough in a lot of places......Start putting in for San Jacinto WA and Wister.....Less money more ducks.

ilovesprig said:
Stump7100 said:
ilovesprig said:
Stump,

Great report......Thanks for sharing.

Wish I would of got something.

Stump,

We always do.....It's been tough in a lot of places......Start putting in for San Jacinto WA and Wister.....Less money more ducks.

I'm in for tbe whole season at Wister and part of SJ..... Just not getting pulled so far except for opener but couldn't go.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu