Rabbit Huntin' Yesterday

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Got up to MCC early.........Missed the 1st four I shot at with the pellet gun........WTF!........Finally hit one and was probably bum luck........Really close shot and even missed the head........Went deeper into the property and broke out old reliable........Savage .17........The next 3 went so lucky and they were all long rangers too........Happy with 4, but should've had 5 easily.......Shot the pellet gun later and could've even find the paper....... :-\

Go over to Lake Henshaw for breakfast and there's Bonejour (Don)......He had been taking a tour of the MCC property with Larry Whyte. After a great breakfast, Don said he needed to sight in his 30.06 A Bolt with copper (going pig hunting up north).......So, we go over to Larry's shooting range.......Well after a number of shot's. The consensus was not bad, but not great........Not really high, not really left or right........The .17 on the other hand was nuts.......Even at 200 yds, the little baby was within an inch of center....... ;)

Don left and Larry and I hit a different area.......Larry got 5 with his Ruger .22 .......Damn good shootin'........Me on the other hand, couldn't hit diddly with the hand gun Larry let me use........Should've brought the .17........lol

ps.....Don......Great talking to you and congrats on joining......Thanks for breakfast as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8052.JPG
    IMG_8052.JPG
    445 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8056.JPG
    IMG_8056.JPG
    606.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8055.JPG
    IMG_8055.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8064.JPG
    IMG_8064.JPG
    506.7 KB · Views: 80
Great stuff Steve! I had a great time and appreciate you and Larry helping me out. Took the a bolt over to FF today to see what NBK thinks.

Sent via Tapatalk

Not to jack this thread, but just want to close the loop on my rifle. John over at FF was kind enough to take a look at it, and found that I wasn't torquing the stock down effectively. He torqued it to 37 inch-lbs, and Larry and I went out again this morning. Foul shot was less than a half inch off perfect, low and right. Then two shots touching slightly low and barely right. Gave it 6 clicks up on the elevation: 2.25" high at 100yds with groups well under 1 MOA, and I am ready to hunt some pigs! Talk about easy! You just need to have the right friends. Thanks guys!

Sent via Tapatalk

Awesome news Don. Glad you were able to get back in the game prior to your hunt.

Awesome spotting scope dude! That Elite series is amazing!

squidy said:
can someone tell me an area an local to hunt around lb?

Don't know any specific spots up by you... Get into the foothills of the NF's or actually in the NF's... make sure you abide by the laws and hunt unposted / unfenced land and you'll be good. Make sure you know your Condor Zone if you're using a rimfire also (can't remember if that applies to shotgun or not).

NBK said:
Awesome news Don. Glad you were able to get back in the game prior to your hunt.

Awesome spotting scope dude! That Elite series is amazing!
Yeah, awesome spotter. Thought you'd like that ;D

Sent via Tapatalk

Nice job getting the four cottontails that you did get.

I know sometimes the shots just don't seem to go where we want them.

Thanks for the photos too! Makes me want to get out soon for some tasty rabbits. :)

Took my daughter out this evening.......I wanted her to start getting used to looking through scope......Haven't been able to find her a .243 yet. So, I had her shoot some targets with my scoped .17.......No problem shooting the real deal either........ ;)

Attachments

• IMG_8215.JPG
    IMG_8215.JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 69
Figured I'd just add to this thread since I went "Rabbit Huntin' Yesterday". I was very happy about the tight patterning out of my turkey choke with the Federal 7.5's. Couldn't get any closer than ~40 yards from each one before they saw me. These aren't the walk and stop to spook kind of cottons. They take off when they see movement and sprint for the nearest hole.
image.jpg

ILS How is it that your daughter decided she wanted to hunt? My daughter is 19 can shoot better groups than me but doesn't care to hunt. Yet she loves to eat wild game. Working on getting her boyfriend into a hunter safety course and taking him Dove hunting this year. Hoping that will be the switch to get her started.

8ST Nice job.

Lungpopper said:
ILS How is it that your daughter decided she wanted to hunt? My daughter is 19 can shoot better groups than me but doesn't care to hunt. Yet she loves to eat wild game. Working on getting her boyfriend into a hunter safety course and taking him Dove hunting this year. Hoping that will be the switch to get her started.

8ST Nice job.

Well LP........I can tell you the boyfriend approach was what I think turned the tables.........2 years ago, she started dating a kid (Jacob) that was just getting into hunting. Mind you she was totally raised around hunting and fishing. As a little girl went everywhere with me. As she got older, she went the girly girl route. Cheerleading, fashion and all that stuff (more like her mom)......I started taking Jacob hunting with me last year. This Christmas she said she may want to start hunting with us......Right on & finally!.....I don't think she'll ever be a waterfowler (too muddy....lol), but after getting her 1st turkeys this year. She now wants to shoot a deer.....

Another thing that I think helped was she got her license from Bass Pro......We spent the day buying hunting cloths, boots, the whole 9 yards. She got totally into the new fashions for women.

Anyway, hang in there..........She'll come around............ ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6681.JPG
    IMG_6681.JPG
    443.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6691.JPG
    IMG_6691.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6692.JPG
    IMG_6692.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 72
Squiddy,

If you don't mind bracelets and a free room the airport has a lot of rabbits.

Your pellet gun has probably been worn out, the spring mechanism anyway. I just had mine do that I was shooting at a bottle not even 10 yards away and it hit way low and the gun the feels broken. Anyway I'm getting a new one this time with a gas operated spring piston like a benjamin trail NP. So you might want to pick up a new gun.

Christian K said:
Your pellet gun has probably been worn out, the spring mechanism anyway. I just had mine do that I was shooting at a bottle not even 10 yards away and it hit way low and the gun the feels broken. Anyway I'm getting a new one this time with a gas operated spring piston like a benjamin trail NP. So you might want to pick up a new gun.

I own a Benjamin Trail NP.......Still shoots straight as a string....... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu