Rabbit recipes

doccherry

May 7, 2021
Will be hunting MCC properties for cottontails starting July 1. Need some advice on which zones [generally speaking] are good producers, whether morning or evening is best, how far are the shots [use scoped 22 or light shotgun?], what vegetation areas produce, should I look for a water source since I often see rabbits coming down to drink in the evening, rattlesnake chaps?, and most importantly, what are some favorite recipes? Haven't hunted bunnies for 16 or 17 years. Mahalo.

.22, morning. Leave the scatter gun at home. Water would be nice . I only huntAZ. close to the river and that is where most rabbits hang out. I have several recipes but deep fried is one of my favorite, rabbit tenders. what isn't good deep fried. I also make rabbit lasagna.

I don't hunt MCC so I'll defer to others on how to hunt there...

As far as recipes go, my go-to has gotta be buttermilk brined then chicken fried, with some mashed taters and gravy. Last year I made breakfast sausage and jalapeno cheddar sausage with cottontails, which I grind with pork fat or bacon. Another good one I've made is braising them in a mustard cream sauce with mushrooms over pasta. For that I sear the rabbit pieces in bacon grease, then deglaze with white wine or beer and brown your onions and garlic. Then add the rabbit back to the pan with some chicken stock, dijon mustard, heavy cream, mushrooms, and tarragon. Reduced it down to a thicker sauce and until the rabbit tenderizes a bit, then ladle it over some fettucine with romano cheese.

What ever i do with them, i like to age at least 4 to 6 days in the fridge. I think fried is best.

Reactions: TRICER
How many rabbits you need for a decent sized meal?
Now that depends. How much can you eat, how big are rabbits, are you using the entire thing or just certain parts???? For me 1.5 med. size fits the bill, that is assuming you have side dishes along with them. My wife will eat one big back leg.

Now that depends. How much can you eat, how big are rabbits, are you using the entire thing or just certain parts???? For me 1.5 med. size fits the bill, that is assuming you have side dishes along with them. My wife will eat one big back leg.
That’s what I was wondering about. How much would my wife eat, lol. If you’re making a stew versus frying legs, etc.

That’s what I was wondering about. How much would my wife eat, lol. If you’re making a stew versus frying legs, etc.
Good thing about stew. there are generally left overs. Well at least when I cook. I alway cook like I am preparing for a small army. My wife say, holy shit Sterk, how many people you feeding. She has always called me buy my last name. Most of my friends think my first name is Goddamnit. She is always saying goddamnit Sterk.

Good thing about stew. there are generally left overs. Well at least when I cook. I alway cook like I am preparing for a small army. My wife say, holy shit Sterk, how many people you feeding. She has always called me buy my last name. Most of my friends think my first name is Goddamnit. She is always saying goddamnit Sterk.
That is really weird. A real coincidence. Your first name and my first name, according to my wife, are exactly the same. And your last name and my last name, according to my wife, are almost exactly the same. Take the "St" out of your name and replace it with a "J" and there you have it, my name [according to my wife}.

That is really weird. A real coincidence. Your first name and my first name, according to my wife, are exactly the same. And your last name and my last name, according to my wife, are almost exactly the same. Take the "St" out of your name and replace it with a "J" and there you have it, my name [according to my wife}.
We are damn near brothers.

Seems like I post this every year, but here's my technique...... :blush:

I'm with Matt...Yuck!...I don't like touching the guts of rabbits, especially on July 1st...So, I go gutless on all hares.

As far as cooking them...Lots of ways...I like deep fried...Egg dip, into flour with spices, back into egg, back into Uncle Buck's flour...Pix to explain better.........:yum

ps...Bruce...As far as where they're at on MCC...I'll talk to you in person.

.001.JPG003.JPG004.JPG006.JPG009.JPG011.JPGrabbit dinner 7-11-12 007.JPG035.JPG285.JPG288.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu