RAGE - BEING TESTED

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
RAGE -> That feeling you get when once again... for the second year in a row.... factors beyond your control, decided to reach-down last minute and prevent you from being able to use the intended access road to arrive at your planned hunting destination you took a whole week of PTO for.... and it happens literally two days beforehand.

Time to get creative. I AM getting to my spot. This is soo gonna suck.

Larry....dont let Panic set in, Leave a little earlier, and be the arrow!

Yeah... I know. Meh... Just real upsetting ya know?

Second year in a row some kinda isht like this happens last-freaking-second. And it's a significant bit more exertion and distance to come in from that other direction. And the other path in has almost no shade whatsoever. And it's farther away from vehicle so I'll have to carry a little more water now. Which equals more weight which equals more soreness on injured area.

I wanna *try* to stay out 3-days at a whack. But it will depend on how long my water lasts. I have 2 gallons stashed out there already and figure I'll have to carry 7-8 liters + 1 or 2 more Gallons initially coming in if I'm gonna make it to a 3rd day out there. It's been pretty hot lately and it's looking humid out there right now. But the temps are supposed to ease back down to mid to low 80's later in the week.

Believe me I will BE that damn arrow if the Universe throws me an opportunity.

Man... that would be awesome too because then I could shift focus over to the Bear Tag for general season as a main focus rather than a last-chance thing to do after Deer General Season.

maybe this re-route will work in your benefit. Good Luck G-Dog.

There were some benefits from when it happened last year. I forced myself to look for different spots to add into the rotation. One a great rifle spot, the other potentially a bow spot... but I don't have trailcam recon data yet on that other potential bow area. It's got sign, but on the sits I did in there last year it just so happens nothing came thru. Anyhoo... we'll see what happens, and no matter what... it beats being stuck in these four walls.

There were some benefits from when it happened last year. I forced myself to look for different spots to add into the rotation. One a great rifle spot, the other potentially a bow spot... but I don't have trailcam recon data yet on that other potential bow area. It's got sign, but on the sits I did in there last year it just so happens nothing came thru. Anyhoo... we'll see what happens, and no matter what... it beats being stuck in these four walls.
I’ve got four or five bucks on camera 360 yards from the truck. All because I just happened to spot a buck while driving down the road, it wasn’t even one of the areas I was checking out on google earth. I guess i just got lucky.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Yeah that "just happened to spot a buck while driving down the road" is exactly how I got that new rifle spot. I remembered a Mama Doe and a young male and female crossing the road right about Noon the year before. So I set out to go up this centralized Knoll with the 15's Binos to look around. Didn't even get that far in and "Oh Hello!" caught one skylining a little bit briefly out of the side of my vision. Setup the 15's on tripod and watched him for like 2hrs at 300yds in the rain.

Made a strategic decision to not attempt to rush out last night to get out there.

Taking this morning to load-up slowly, making sure I don't screw up and forget something. This PM I'll hike out. Tomorrow is supposed to drop 10 degrees in temps and remain that way for 3-4 days in a row, and with no access to water out there, it made more sense to wait one day so my water would last longer.

Going to *try* to stay out there 3 days. Not so sure I'll be able to. Only have 2 Gallons stashed out there. Packing-in 3L + 3L + 1L + 1L Coconut water + 1 Gatorade. I wanted to drag another Gallon with me to stash out there. But that's just too damn much weight, too heavy as it is with Tent and all that. (But that's on me for not training.)

Plus I'm bringing a folding chair with a backrest that I'm going to leave out there and pickup at the end of General Season, because the vegetation at my blind is kinda tall this year with all that rain we had. Bringing that and the lil Predator seat cushion that also has back support, for going to the other lil spots in there.

Good Luck everyone.

Made a strategic decision to not attempt to rush out last night to get out there.

Taking this morning to load-up slowly, making sure I don't screw up and forget something. This PM I'll hike out. Tomorrow is supposed to drop 10 degrees in temps and remain that way for 3-4 days in a row, and with no access to water out there, it made more sense to wait one day so my water would last longer.

Going to *try* to stay out there 3 days. Not so sure I'll be able to. Only have 2 Gallons stashed out there. Packing-in 3L + 3L + 1L + 1L Coconut water + 1 Gatorade. I wanted to drag another Gallon with me to stash out there. But that's just too damn much weight, too heavy as it is with Tent and all that. (But that's on me for not training.)

Plus I'm bringing a folding chair with a backrest that I'm going to leave out there and pickup at the end of General Season, because the vegetation at my blind is kinda tall this year with all that rain we had. Bringing that and the lil Predator seat cushion that also has back support, for going to the other lil spots in there.

Good Luck everyone.

I know you're taking some coconut water and gatorade but may be a good idea to take some other form of electrolyte supplementation that is not in liquid form thus saving you a lot of weight...I recently bought a couple bags of a product called "Liquid IV" at Costco. you add a little single serving packet to 16 Oz of H2O and drink it...tastes weird in warm water but will do the job, tastes much better in cold/icy water.

Water filter is your friend......or make several trips in packing water before hand.
Now it sounds like you need to carry more water in and drop a lot halfway in that way you have a source on the way out which is the most important.

A gallon a day is about average in the heat. Gallon weights 8lbs
I buy the gallon jugs with screw on tops and the clear plastic will last years in the shade. I will get two gallons, 4' of rope and a few zip ties. Tie a half hitch knot at each end, then take the zip ties and cinch the zip tie around the neck of the jug just below the cap along with the rope so the knot will stop it from letting go. Repeat the other side of the rope......learned this from the illegals that are in our deer area. Toss it over your pack and your balanced. It also feels good half way it to drop 8-16lbs!

Find a bush or tree and hang it off the ground in the shade.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu