Rattlesnake bite info

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
My youngest dog was bite last year with a dry bite. She learned her lesson and now bays them when she encounters them. The snake hit her in the paw when she ran by. One fang hit bone on the top of her paw and the other missed. Before this she had the vaccine for over two years and she would get the normal hard lump at the injection site. But after the bite when given the vaccine she had the lump but it was twice the size and took longer than normal to go down. My vet said not give it to her anymore for fear of Anaphylaxis shock.

Anybody have a similar situation?

I know she got a small amoun of venomt from the bite. Her paw was slightly swollen and other than the Benadryl and a salt/baking soda paste on her bite I gave her no other treatment and in a few hours she was running around like normal. I consider myself very lucky.

This year while hunting in Baja a GSP got hit in the chest but the fangs hit just the skin and missed all the muscle tissue. The dog was given a cortisone shot in the field and had no problems in the days that followed. The GSP had not had the vaccine nor was it given the antivenom.

I'm no expert but I do believe that if the snake does not hit muscle the bite won't kill them. But if the venom gets injected into the muscle you better get to the vet and get the antivenom and if does hit a vien or artery the dogs most likely won't make it unless you inject the dog with antivenom in minutes.

Any thoughts?
Seeing as that time of year is coming up I wanted to share some of my observations and experiences.

MJB, sounds like a couple of lucky close calls, I wouldn't bet on the idea that if it doesn't hit muscle that it is not lethal. I heard of a dog in Texas that was bitten by defanged rattler in a training clinic and the maxillary teeth in the snake caused enough of an abrasion that the venom that came from the snakes mouth killed the dog (a chihuahua) It is not uncommon for some dogs to have a bad reaction to the pre bite vaccine so follow your vet's guidance on this. There are two other things to consider, Get your dog aversion trained (We do aversion training) so they know the sight scent and sound of a rattler and if you think that the place you are hunting has a large population of rattlers consider not turning your dog loose. Even with the vaccine and aversion training nothing is 100% effective.

That's not a dog! 3-5lbs dogs have no chance if bitten.

The vet said most bites if it doesn't hit muscle have a great chance of not needing the anti venom. But yes ever dog and bite is different.

I don't believe in the avoidance training. I have done my own training in the field and in the last few experiences have shown both my dogs know what they smell like and know the sound. They both bay up the snake and keep other dogs away. They both learned this from a pitbull that they hunt hogs with the pit will keep all dogs away she's one mean pit if you don't follow her rules!

I'm glad you offer the class some people do need it. My reasons for not believing in it comes down to those clinics are not real life situations. Most encounters are one on one with the dog and the snake while chasing game. The clinics have too many people and dogs around I have seen where the dog thinks its a dog trial or training event very different atmosphere than hunting in the field. And i don't like training on just the snake they should have birds or other game around so it's more positive for the dogs and they can associate this as just another training day with something to avoid.

It sure works for my dogs. Years after going through the snake avoidance class, my dogs won't go near rattlers. I think anything you can do to help avoid having your dog bit is a good idea. I have my dogs inoculated every year too. They are way to important to me to not take all of the precautions.

NBK said:
It sure works for my dogs. Years after going through the snake avoidance class, my dogs won't go near rattlers. I think anything you can do to help avoid having your dog bit is a good idea. I have my dogs inoculated every year too. They are way to important to me to not take all of the precautions.

Hey NBK what is "inoculated"? I have a lab who will be getting avoidance training but i have never heard of inoculated.

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_faq.php

my dog reacts very poor to shot with a big area of swelling and it tweaks her a bit.

Read the FAQ it does not work on The Mojave Green Rattlesnake.... So what type lives in the Mexicali valley?
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.atrox.html

Drewski2324 said:
NBK said:

Hey NBK what is "inoculated"? I have a lab who will be getting avoidance training but i have never heard of inoculated.

a shot once a year

Yes shots. First year your dog will need 2 shots then one a year thereafter. It works and can save your dogs life. Nothing is foolproof but at worst case scenario the shots will buy you more time to get to a vet and get anti-venom.

The rattler avoidance class is illegal in San Diego now right? I have a 6 month old lab that I really wanna train him about snakes but from what I see you can't anymore.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu