Recommendations for Trail Camera Posts/Mounts

twoniner

Aug 10, 2020
I can't mount my cameras on branches due to all the brush, what do you guys recommend for posts/stakes? I need something lightweight and sturdy, I can't pack T-Stakes with me! Also how high do you normally set up your cameras that you put on stakes? Do you find it necessary to have an adjustable post?

Last edited:
I know you said no T stakes, but the cheap little 3 or 4 foot garden T posts at lowes work and they aren't heavy. I have my cameras set up about 3-4 feet off the ground and thats usually perfect. If not you can use a small stick and wedge it behind to angle it down slightly. I would run the cheap Tasco cams (theyre actually pretty good) on these since it will be easy for a scum bag to walk away with them.

I can't mount my cameras on branches due to all the brush, what do you guys recommend for posts/stakes? I need something lightweight and sturdy, I can't pack T-Stakes with me! Also how high do you normally set up your cameras that you put on stakes? Do you find it necessary to have an adjustable post?

I use an old dove or duck spinner stake...Breaks down into 3 pieces and doesn't weigh much...Steel rod or medal conduit will work...About 3-4' off the ground....If you think it's too low....Move it back.

.lion kill.JPG

Last edited:
Also while we are on the topic--do the "low glow infrared" scare off deer that inhabit the area, or in other words, do the "invisible infared" cams have a clear advantage over the "low glow infrared?" I found a couple of browning cams on sale that I am thinking about adding to my small collection, but they are of the low-glow variety.

Also while we are on the topic--do the "low glow infrared" scare off deer that inhabit the area, or in other words, do the "invisible infared" cams have a clear advantage over the "low glow infrared?" I found a couple of browning cams on sale that I am thinking about adding to my small collection, but they are of the low-glow variety.

It doesn't seem too

.043.JPG

Great point Trapline. Especially if you leave it for a while. I forget where I put my wallet five minutes after I do so. Also not a lot of location markers in that spot!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu