Reporting from D 16

Just spoke with LP. He has a long pull to go getting off the mountain. Looking forward to hearing from him. As usual, hard work pays off!

I went into opening weekend of D16 with the idea that I would take any legal buck. The opening would be my only weekend to hunt. Randomshot and his brother in law Brad and I hiked in 4 miles to a predetermined camping location Friday night. I had hopes of filling my tag by Monday.

Saturday morning was uneventful other than my hunting party. I saw one other hunter from my vantage point that was doing more walking than what I would call hunting. I watched him for awhile hoping he would push some deer around but he never did. So I turned and hiked in deeper and meet up with Randomshot.

We were sitting on a vantage point with him looking North and me looking South. I found a spike laying in the shade 252 yards away eating his cud and enjoying the shade. I was keeping an eye on him while still scanning the area. A little before the sun went behind a hill he got up and made his way into a meadow. As he walked into the meadow he kept looking back I was sure there were other deer around by his actions. I was so locked onto him I stopped scanning the other areas I should have been keeping an eye on.

Turned to my right and there was a buck standing in the middle of another meadow. Checked him with the binoculars at 193 yards. It was a buck that I had seen during archery season. I couldn’t get a good rest, and tried to rush a shot off and missed him. He just stood there, giving me enough time to crawl over to some rocks that I could get a rest and made a good shot on him.

Randomshot and I went over to him took some pics and were breaking out the knives when I spot another deer. Checked him to make sure he was a legal buck and Random put a perfect 430 yard shot on him to make it a double.934CCDD5-C4EE-4A8D-BC47-24A0A445FE42.jpeg9A548312-2511-4044-9248-6A17722DE008.jpeg934CCDD5-C4EE-4A8D-BC47-24A0A445FE42.jpegD07B8F04-EA1E-493C-BEBB-6A9FFE93E58D.png

Last edited:
Back