rifle recommendations

gregg

Feb 16, 2014
San Diego
Eventually I'll get an AR but in the mean time I'd like to pick up a decent predator rifle (coyote, bobcat). I'm thinking .223, I'm open to other calibers but I'd like to keep the pelts if possible so I don't want to go too big.

What do you guys recommend? I'd like to keep the price down and will probably just go with iron sites. I'd love something I could use for everything from squirrels and rabbits to coyotes and bobcats.

22-250 Remington is my favorite cartridge. Calibers other then the .224 you will see a bit more pelt damage. But that depends a lot on the bullet your shooting too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaftHunter said:
22-250 Remington is my favorite cartridge. Calibers other then the .224 you will see a bit more pelt damage. But that depends a lot on the bullet your shooting too.

The Rem 22-250 is a beast for long range and one of my favorites! But practically speaking, it is going to be hard to beat the .223 Rem for an all around predator/varmint cartridge.

NBK said:
TaftHunter said:

The Rem 22-250 is a beast for long range and one of my favorites! But practically speaking, it is going to be hard to beat the .223 Rem for an all around predator/varmint gun.

John, I would agree, 223 rem is great and cheaper ammunition wise. But 22-250 is still my favorite no matter what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plan on shooting coyote, bobcat, and fox plus squirrels and rabbits then .223 is what you want but if it's mainly a coyote gun go 22-250. You are going to want to put a scope on the gun.

Just get a cheap beater in any caliber you find that fits your budget. Smaller calibers do not always equal less pelt damage. My old 204ruger with tiny 35gr burgers would blast grape fruit size holes in the back side of coyotes.

scopes are mandatory!!!!

shotguns are always a fun choice for fur and you can do it with out a scope

If you like 223 and want iron sites can't go wrong with a mini 14. Depends on what you want to spend. If you want to go cheap go savage axis or for a little more a Ruger American is a much better gun. But on a budget go Axis with a scope combo they have them on sale with a redfield scope all the time less then $500. I like having a scope for hunting. Only guns I have that are iron sites would be some 22s and an AR. 243 has to be in this conversation for a great predator round as well super fun round to shoot and you can get some very light bullets.

Like SD birds said if you already have a rifle get out and kill something you are not going to eat it who cares how big of a hole you put in the thing.

A lot of way better rifle guys on here than me, but here's my opinion on the matter......Too start I'd buy the Savage Axis ll in .243....I bought one for my daughter and it's killed every deer she has shot at (95 grain Fusion)....It has a varmint round that works too (58 Hornady V-Max for example).....A box of 20 doesn't break the bank either (about 25 bucks)....I personally love this rifle as well.....2 cents

ps.....A number of gun stores have had the gun for $398.00 + the BS.

Attachments

• IMG_9246.JPG
    IMG_9246.JPG
    794.9 KB · Views: 34
I have the Savage Axis II in .223. Love the accu-trigger and it's sub MOA with Fiocchi 40 vmax. If I didn't already have plenty of .223 ammo, I think that I might have gone .243. But any centerfire will work.

I use a Handi-Rifle in .223. It has a varmint barrel and is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. Dialed in at 200 yds I have made shots out to 600 yards.
I roll my own sinterfire in 45 grains.

It is a single shot so you have to make it count.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu