River Hunting

TripleJOutdoors

3 Guys from the Central Valley getting it done!
Dec 11, 2013
Fresno, CA
Because the migration is so bad up here in the Central Valley right now, I'm gonna hit the local river and hunt it off my kayak tomorrow morning. Who knows maybe rip a few lips while I'm at it. What I want to discuss is that not many people realize that hunting off of the river, as long as the water is navigable and all regulations are abided by, is completely legal due to the fact that it is public. We've had a few DFG rangers give us grief but we know we are within our rights to hunt there. Has anyone ever had a run-in with DFG about a "grey area" hunting spot and how was it handled?

So what was the Grey area they gave you grief about?

Well first is where we put in and take our kayaks out. But we changed spots. They haven't given us any real reason why, they just horas us. Another reason they said that they questioned us is because there are some people that live on the river, however we respect the "distance from a dwelling" laws and don't shoot unless we are absolutely positive we are within a legal distance. Other times they gave us problems saying that we need to be mindful of other people who may use the river for recreational purposes other than hunting (which are far and few between) all in all I don't think they like us down there.

sounds like you are hunting in their spots and they were just trying to bark you guys off. I would agree with being mindful of other users and for sure buildings. Local laws do apply if you are inside a city limit or if the county has discharge laws. Down here in so cal the only river you can play on is the Colorado. There are places you can hunt and Lots of preserves and NO hunting areas.

Great info! I have gone to the DFW offices and talked to multiple people and there are no "No Hunting" regulations or area within that spot and it is out of the city limits so I think you are correct. They probably just don't like us there as it's a little more difficult to regulate.

you guys that hunt rivers where go fast things play are brave! I almost ran over a canoe last year. The dude was on the inside of a turn and well that's the line i like to take :) I did go back and say sorry, he just managed to keep it upright between the wake and prop wash

Well it happened again, Got stopped by DFG on the way out yesterday afternoon. He was very nice and just checked us out and we were on our way... We got to our favorite spot and downed 5 birds when we heard a low rumble. The sheriff department started circling us in a copter and landed. Lectured us a bit but couldn't tell us to stop because we were completely within our legal rights. By the time all was said and done we missed the evening flight and had to pack up! Frustrating but at the same time kind of nice knowing that we are no violating any laws on either side of the law! Just thought I'd share our latest experiences with Johnny law!

Why are they harassing you? Are there houses in the area? Are there some clubs in the area? Someone's got to be calling them?

There are houses along the river but well out of the 150 yard range... The problem is that there are hunters on the river who don't follow regulations which makes it harder for us who follow the book! Doesn't matter how much harassment we get. As long as it's legal we continue to do our thing!

Maybe go in and talk to the sheriff and the game warden? Sometimes just establishing a relationship helps; so they know you are on the level and know the law. If they want to mess with you, it's not that hard for them to do, so being adversarial will not make it easier even if you are right. But if you can work out an agreement in advance, maybe even let them know when you'll be on the river, at least you might complete your hunt without interruption. Just a thought based on many years of righteous struggle ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Maybe go in and talk to the sheriff and the game warden? Sometimes just establishing a relationship helps; so they know you are on the level and know the law. If they want to mess with you, it's not that hard for them to do, so being adversarial will not make it easier even if you are right. But if you can work out an agreement in advance, maybe even let them know when you'll be on the river, at least you might complete your hunt without interruption. Just a thought based on many years of righteous struggle ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have got some hook ups in the past by doing that. It always pays to be cool

Great advice! I will definitely use it! It's great to have people with more experience in this are pitching in ideas!

i think you should show us on a map where this place is :) its safe we are all in so cal :p

Aeon said:
i think you should show us on a map where this place is :) its safe we are all in so cal :p

Aeons right with my expertise I could deffinetly tell u where u would be safe. If u drive I'll go as far to show u

Hey anyone is welcome to come up to Fresno and PM me if they want to join me on a hunt.... As far as a map, IDK about that one haha :p

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu