Roadside dirt nap

breacher

Sep 4, 2012
Alpine, CA
image.jpeg

He got tagged by a car. Weird antlers. Probably better off that he's no longer spreading his seed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick,

Could you please repost the other picture......Weird buck for sure......No velvet this time of year?

Or damn one less buck spreading his seed
You know because Cali does a great job on deer management

What is CA law on road kill. I know in other states you can claim it and report it to the fire station or DFG.

Can't touch it.......Illegal means of take.......Libs would much rather you just leave it and let it rot.....:(

From Carrie Wilson, DFW answer person........

Question: I have a couple of questions regarding deer killed on roadways. First of all, if a deer is accidentally hit and killed on a roadway, can it be collected and utilized so as not to go to waste? Secondly, if I have a valid California hunting license and deer tag, and while coming back after dark from a day of hunting, if I accidentally hit and kill a deer on one of the backroads, how is that handled? Do I wait until morning and shoot it, or is that considered a “bag?” What are the laws pertaining to animals accidentally killed on the highways? (James M.)

Answer: Road-killed wildlife may not be retained by the driver of the vehicle that hits the animal, nor anyone else associated with the accident or not. Only authorized personnel of state and/or local agencies are permitted to dispatch and remove injured or dead animals.

In regard to your second question, even if the driver of the vehicle is a licensed California hunter who has the appropriate tags to take the deer that is accidentally hit by their car, that hunter cannot legally tag that deer and take it home. Deer may only be taken with rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers, muzzleloaders and archery equipment. Motor vehicles are not included in this list of legal methods of take.

Although Fish and Game Code section 2000.5(a) states the accidental taking of game by a motor vehicle is not a violation of the law, it does not authorize the possession of animals taken by a collision with a vehicle. You may wonder why this is the case since it seems like it would be a waste of a deer to not be able to place a tag on it and perhaps save another from being taken. The reason is that some poachers would use the “collision” excuse to take deer at night with their vehicle and just attach their tag to justify the action.

ps......Some go to the wolf center in Julian.

So pretty much if you hit a deer, stfu and hide it in your truck bed and prepare to claim ignorance.

I feel like I would rather take my chances with that then let the thing go to waste over some stupid regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D16 forkie 2015.jpg Looks like the brother of my 2nd deer last year from D16

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu