Rube Powell Archery Walking Range

Papadeuce

Aug 27, 2018
Carlsbad
Question for any of you who have been down to the Rube Powell Archery Range. The website says it's got targets from 20 feet to 80 yards on the walking range. My question is whether there's the capability in the range to be able to get closer to the 80 yard target so you're not having to shoot that far. I ask because I'm new to archery and haven't shot anything further than 60 and that was like 3 arrows just to do it. I don't have anywhere to even sight in at that distance but see that they have a range out to 90 down there too so I guess I could try it out while down there. So, just curious if I would just need to skip that target or if I could get closer to it rather than possibly losing some arrows!

Thanks in advance.

I did, that’s where I got the information about the range lengths. There just isn’t any mention about where you can or can’t shoot from on the walking range in regards to each target.

sorry I have not practice in a while and I forget stuff, look at the link provided, starts at 10 yard balboa range.
scroll down

When it says "out to 80 yards" It just means that you can shoot that far. That same 80 yard target has a 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, and 20 yard marker as well. All the targets have several distance markers to shoot from.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
When it says "out to 80 yards" It just means that you can shoot that far. That same 80 yard target has a 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, and 20 yard marker as well. All the targets have several distance markers to shoot from.
Thank you!!!

If you haven't shot that far yet I strongly recommend Morley Field. Get the bow sight in and then go to Powell. At Powell you will be shooting with different angles up or down and also the ground is not perfectly leveled.
Dont get me wrong, it is really fun to go through the course but you can loose a lot of arrows if your bow is not dialed in.

If you haven't shot that far yet I strongly recommend Morley Field. Get the bow sight in and then go to Powell. At Powell you will be shooting with different angles up or down and also the ground is not perfectly leveled.
Dont get me wrong, it is really fun to go through the course but you can loose a lot of arrows if your bow is not dialed in.
they use to have range set at 20, 30 40 ft, is it still there at powell

The Balboa Range also has a small practice area at the entrance, with target butts at 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards.​

Jim Walker practicing in Balboa Park
Practic – Practice – Practice
The Balboa Range is open to the public from sunrise to sunset, 365 days/year for just a $2 day use fee. 14 targets are open year-round (Targets #15-28).

The remaining targets are only open during tournaments, held ~twice each month on the 1st & 3rd weekends.

The first open target (#15) is on the north side of the Cabrillo Bridge, ~5-10 minute walk from the entrance/practice area.

Each target has yardage markers (tabs) varying from ~20 feet to 80 yards, depending on the target. This is a NFAA-Certified course!

The Balboa Park Rube Powell Archery Range and the Morley Field Archery Range are both maintained by volunteers from the San Diego Archers (and non-members, too!)

It is a fun range.
PS: plan on shooting a couple of arrows per station or you will not have anything left (strength wise ) to shoot at the last few targets.

It is a fun range.
PS: plan on shooting a couple of arrows per station or you will not have anything left (strength wise ) to shoot at the last few targets.
3D Shoot Sunday May 2 Balboa park put on by the San Diego Archers. Go to there web site for more info and sign up. See you all there

Reactions: Dawnandusk
So let me ask this... if I want to start preparing for the upcoming fall season, which would you recommend? I can get to 32 yards on flat ground at my house and shooting at an incline to 45 yards. I am looking at these courses for more realistic hunting scenarios. Thoughts?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu