Rut - Me Worry?

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
I went out last night, set up camp and hunted the dusk and the dawn. No deer in sight, and no fresh sign. I didn't have time before dark to scout the area as well as I would have liked, not having hunted the area before. Besides, I was half looking for deer and half trying to stay out of the way of other hunters, trying to let them push deer to me if possible on their way in this am.

I wish it were Turkey season though, because this morning, a half dozen nice sized birds practically walked right up to me. I could hardly believe they just kept coming, especially because they were directly downwind. I was stand hunting on the ground next to a good sized tree trunk. I tried to get a pic but they became wary when I moved to get the camera. when I took it out, they took off. So no pics for you guys... you'll have to take my word for it ;D

I saw one hunter still hunting the area when I arrived, and two more still hunters walked onto me this morning. They practically stepped on me before they saw me. So, I guess I'm 8 for 8 as a turkey blind! ;)

I plan to go out again next Saturday. I have two more overnights to try to fill my tag... No worries!

;D

It is impressive how you have just taken the sport of hunting by the horns. Thanks for taking the time to post such relevant information. You are inspiring to new hunters!

Just getting out there is 90% of the success. Now you have a good fall turkey spot.

Powered by SCH and Tapatalk

Thanks John!
I thought turkeys were spring only in San Diego. I just checked DFG again and it doesn't give dates for a fall turkey season in SD County.

That's pretty much how it goes with hunting. 98% watching and wishing, Then the 2% that makes it all worth while.

Yeah, you pretty much have to be an optimist. Like SDBirds, still waiting for Mr. Toad. ;D

Bonejour said:
Thanks John!
I thought turkeys were spring only in San Diego. I just checked DFG again and it doesn't give dates for a fall turkey season in SD County.

November 9th- December 8th. Two per season. Either sex.

Don't. Worry about the wind while you are turkey hunting. They're since of smell is no better then ours. Its all about sight and sound.

Invisible man said:
Don't. Worry about the wind while you are turkey hunting. They're since of smell is no better then ours. Its all about sight and sound.

That explains it. I was thinking to myself, "Either you turkeys have no sense of smell, or I can give up my morning shower on a permanent basis." My wife will appreciate your setting me straight. ;D
Thanks IM!

How do you guys hunt turkeys in the fall? Do you use decoys and calls or just wait till you get lucky when they cross your path?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Dunno. They were making the rounds and afterward I realized I was surrounded by ideal habitat. I looked it up and they had to have been Merriam's turkeys. Anyway I figure I'll just use the same "tactics" as last weekend when I go out. Dropped by FF today to look at shotguns with John and pick up my upland bird validation. I'm psyched!

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

Invisible man said:

Please dont! I can smell ya from Ventura County! ;)

It's okay... I lobbed that one over the plate and was just waiting for someone to take a swing ;)

Sent from my iPhone

3ega7u2e.jpgsenadu6u.jpg

Well, still no sign of BAM-bi, but it sure was nice hiking out in the dark and sitting on a rock as day broke. Met a couple of hunters later on who know NBK (...who doesn't!?). They gave me some insights on the area and on Muleys. I still have one more shot at D16. If nothing else, it's great exercise climbing around these hills! I never realized how pretty some of these areas are. My kids were small when we moved here and I just got out of the habit of backcountry hiking/camping. Scouting our public lands has got me back to what I loved to do in my younger days. It's all good
8)

Sent from my iPhone

Seems like the sunrise is better the higher you are. It's always my favorite part of the day.

Great photos Bonejour...looks like a good area!

longbowhunter2 said:
you know there's deer in that spot. in those deep draws :p , hunt from above. great pic's

Thanks LBH2. That sounds like it will be my plan for Saturday. I was mostly stand-hunting on Sunday am, then did some still hunting, but on top of the ridges for a wider view. Next time out i'll use the advice on glassing I picked up in the other thread, and see if I can pick out a Muley buck's eyeball peering out from a bush at 400 yards, just like LP! haha!
;D

Back