Rut - Me Worry?

Bonejour said:
longbowhunter2 said:
you know there's deer in that spot. in those deep draws :p , hunt from above. great pic's

Thanks LBH2. That sounds like it will be my plan for Saturday. I was mostly stand-hunting on Sunday am, then did some still hunting, but on top of the ridges for a wider view. Next time out i'll use the advice on glassing I picked up in the other thread, and see if I can pick out a Muley buck's eyeball peering out from a bush at 400 yards, just like LP! haha!
;D

hit the like button. ;D, I wish I could be up there with you right now . I going to give it a try this saturday. back to spot & stalk seems to be working better right now instead of still hunting.

back to spot & stock seems to be working better right now instead of still hunting.

Can you explain the difference between spot & stalk, and still hunting? I always thought still hunting (w or w/o glassing) was used to spot the animals, then you'd stalk. So I thought they were steps in a sequence rather than alternative techniques. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

Bonejor

sometime it's a mix of both.

still hunt to me is an area. that has a good deer pattern. and there I stay all day. waiting patiently for deer movement.
it could be a area between the bedding area or the feeding area. where they like to go from point "A" to point "B", well used deer trail, lots of tracks & sign.
I killed most of my deer this way. E.G. ground blind, deer stand. or just a good spot with good cover. log with twigs or I like a rock formation up high that covered most of my silhouette. it's a cat & mouse game.
I mostly used the latter.

spot & stalk in my mind would be hike the mountain tops or the draws & sit & look for deer, spotting scope, or 10x50 bino's glassing adjacent hills & draws.
satisfied there's no deer move on to the next hill top. until you spot one. then comes the stalk. if it is a good 400 yards away. it's time to sneak up to within range.
I suck at this technique. I like to catch them within 100-300 yards. I sighted my scope at 300 yards to be dead on. just my way. 308 win. 125 gr flies flat.
if it's less than 300 yards I aim slightly lower. I use to wing it. but now a days with good range finders. I would stick to 100 yard sighting in, then compensate.
I have hunted the poor man's method, but it's worked for me. I very much like walking parallel all most to the crest of the mountains.I seen deer this way too.
walk quietly as possible. don't do a continuous walk. start & stop to look often. humans have a habit to walk with out stopping. a dead give away to deer.
walk & sit , look & scan. The guy's on SCH here are heavy hitters. elite of the elte from what I see this guy's are good. I have much to learn from them as well. it's a never ending learning curve. My new endeavor is to hunt from a stand with a bow.

Thanks a million for that great explanation
:)

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu