S&W 40 cal problems

8SteelTown

My buddy recently purchased a used Smith & Wesson 40 cal (SW40VE). I know the previous 1st owner and have shot the gun a few times myself with no issue. Recently, he's been shooting at the range and will get 1 or 2 rounds through it but the gun continues to jam. He took it to a gunsmith and had it cleaned up. The gunsmith said it shot federal With no problems. Only thing is that every manufacturer he's tried is jamming besides federal. I've heard of guns liking certain bullets over others, but not 1 sole manufacturer. Thoughts? Not looking for reviews. Realize this sounds like a gun issue and he should contact S&W. Just don't know if it's worth the time and money to have fixed.

its a good gun. my "uncle" taught me much about working on guns especially SM what area of so cal are you in? may be a main spring issue? what exactly is it doing or not doing?

GSPman said:
its a good gun. my "uncle" taught me much about working on guns especially SM what area of so cal are you in? may be a main spring issue? what exactly is it doing or not doing?

Thanks GSPMan. I appreciate the reply. He lives in Escondido. Cool dude. He said it jams every time. The shell doesn't extract from the barrel and there are striations all over the jammed jacket. The Range guy said possibly the mag is too fast to push the next bullet into place??? Don't know if that holds water.

yep did a little reading on the subject, but no way an expert on it.
mag spring weak
or main spring weak
or ?
maybe a bad ejector?

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/248004-magazine-spring-weak-all-three-my-m-p45s.html

some guns like quality ammo, if the load is to low. it will jam. use only copper cartridges.
purchased Winchester 12 ga ammo, it was junk from Walmart. misfired. thought is was my shotty,
turned out it was the ammo.

like I said no expert on the subject, throw it there.

However my thoughts a good gun smith should have figured it out.
try fine firearms

Ghost

A local smith is always a good idea especially when its a site sponsor that im sure will help you out for as little as possible. BUt has he tried to narrow it down? just like you would a misfeed on an AR platform? if its an older on that will fire with no mag try that first wil it fire with no mag? with an empty mag and log back on its own? a pict of the spent brass will help. main springs can be too strong if they are after market. i know on my service 1911 my aftermarket main spring will not shoot cheap low recoil stuff as it is ment to shoot +P and ive got well over 10000 rounds on the spring with no issues at all. Love the kimber. my stock off the shelf springfield XD in 45 gets a little harsh recoiling and does strange things with some +P 40 cal as with 9 is always more snappy due to the smaller caliber and may just need to be tuned or broken in? also if the spring is worn out it may cycle funny also. do some tests with and empty mag as well as no mag if possible and get a pict if possible.

Take the barrel out. Drop a round in the chamber and turn the barrel over. Does it fall free or need assistance? Could be a tight chamber which could easily be remedied with a reamer. Manufacturers will cut lots of barrels with 1 reamer. Eventually the reamer becomes slightly undersized. Not uncommon.

Also hard to diagnose without knowing exactly what the malfunction is. FTF FTE etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to check back with him to see. I know I put a few clips through it and didn't have any issues.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu