Salton sea plan

Believe it when I see it.....But pray that it happens for the next generation.

Last edited:
I've read about that plan, which sounds interesting, but I'm curious how it'll affect waterfowl hunting (quality and access) for the future, especially for those of us that freelance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm kind of curious as to how cutting the size of the sea in half is going to mitigate dust or provide more habitat, although if it's good quality habitat maybe it would work out better.

I was a little disturbed about their stated size in acres of the sea as 48,300 seemed way too small. I've hunted 40,000 acre ranches before and they were nowhere near the size of the Salton Sea.

So, when I look up the size of the Salton Sea online it says it's 343.2 square miles, which converts to 219,648 acres. I don't know where that got that the present size is 48,300 acres. 48,300 acres is about 75.47 square miles. Just to check I quired the length and width of the sea on google and they gave me 34.8 miles long and 14.91 miles wide. If you multiply those two figures you get 518.87 square miles but, of course it isn't square like a pool so there are areas that aren't as wide or as long as those stated width and length figures, as I'm sure they are giving measurements of the widest and longest places, so 343.2 square miles is most likely correct.

I'm a little dubious of this "plan" if they can't even tell you the present size of the sea when it's actually 4 1/2 times bigger then what they're telling us. The part they want to "fix" would actually be only 13.5% of the present sea. Of course, that assumes that their estimate of 29,800 acres that they want to fix is accurate too which may not be if they can't get the other figures correct. But, to get the correct numbers wasn't that hard. It only took me a few minutes on the internet.

Last edited:
with lake mead almost at the panic point http://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp 1075' on jan 1 is the scary point the chances of the poor sea getting any love anytime soon are almost zero.

that article is kinda odd.. the lake does not supply any farming that i know of lol unless they are growing algae

I highly doubt that they are using salt water to irrigate farm land. What fish dog says about the size of sea and they cannot even get that right. So where is the money going. Contractors and the libtards. Just look at the Red Hill marina project where has that gone

Studies and commissions will eat up that money in 10 years and nothing will get done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu